Sunday, November 1, 2015

BABY #4 is BORN


Saturday night, October 24th, I was getting the kids ready for bed when I was hit by an intense contraction. The ones that make you cry. Then again. Then nothing so I kept on with brushing the kids teeth. Then they started again and kept coming. Eric came up and took over while I went to hop in the tub. They kept coming and so did my trickle of tears. I called Jocelyn to say, I think I was in labor for real this time but NOT to come over just in case they go away!" The kids were in bed and I just couldn't make up my mind if we should go in or not. I was definitely hurting but didn't want another false alarm. Eric said, "okay. One more hard contraction Cindy and we are going in. That's that." Well before he could finish that statement, another one came and I burst in to tears. Thankfully Jocelyn did not listen to me and was already at our door.

Eric and I got in the car and as he was backing out of the driveway the biggest one yet hit and I said, "Please hurry!!!" 

I was actually in labor. Which is CRAZY. I had to be induced with the first three. So not only were we surprised that I was going in to labor on my own, I was going in to labor 2.5 weeks early! We got to the hospital Saturday at 10:30 pm. 

Because, as mentioned, my first three were inductions I was able to shower and do my hair and makeup before going in... But yikes.... Not this time. This time was more of the, "I have been contracting and doing this pre-labor junk for four days (Tuesday October 27th, I had my OB appointment that morning. I was dilated 2 cm and 50 percent effaced. Dr. Nelson said, "Well, lets schedule your 38 wk appointment, but I think I may be seeing you before then. I starting having regular contractions from my appointment on.  By Tuesday night, I felt nauseous and lightheaded. We went to the hospital thinking I may be in labor. While there I dialed to a 4 then the contractions stopped. Had I been 39 weeks they would have broke my water or given me pitosin, but because I was only 37 weeks, they legally had to discharge me to "labor more at home." It was a very long and emotional night. We got home around 3:30 am (thank you Leslie for staying at our house). When we all, Isaac was in our bed, woke up, he turned to me and said, "Mom? Where's the baby?" I told him that the baby changed it's mind and decided he/she didn't want to come yet. Sooo, I spent the next four days laboring. Contracting. Not contracting. Contracting. Not contracting... Labor progressed in other ways but i'll spare everyone the gory details. But still no baby. We were all shocked. ).
The last pregnancy photo... each kiddo has one. 

I just kept looking over at the baby setup anxious to if there was going to be a baby boy or baby girl in there!!!

I was so worried I was going to be sent home so when I asked my cute nurse Samantha, if I was going to be staying, so I could let family know, she kind of giggled and said, "Oh honey, there is no way I would send you home, your a full 6 cm and this is baby number four, you'd have the baby in your car on the way back here!" Thankfully at 6 cm dilated you are considered "in labor" so although I was only 37 weeks and 5 days pregnant it was go time!! 

*****
The Labor Breakdown

*10:30 pm, dialated to 6 cm. 
*Dr. Primmo was the on-call doc for the weekend which I was so sad about, I really wanted Dr. Nelson to deliver the baby.
*Samantha called and did admittance stuff, came back in the room and said, "Well, I just got off the phone with Dr. Primmo and she said that there is one patient of Dr. Nelson's that is floating around that he said he wants to deliver regardless. I don't see any notes in your chart about it, did you and Dr. Nelson talk about that?" 

I wanted to say, "Of course, It's absoltuely me!" But told the truth..." I'm not sure but I want to say it's me!!"

*Samantha came back in and said, "Your going to be happy, It IS YOU, Dr. Nelson said to call him when you ready to go!! He is THE best OBGYN.

October 25th
*12 am, dialated to 7cm when contractions stopped. AGAIN.
*12:44 am, stripped my membranes. Hoooooly cow. That's a painful nightmare. 
* Eric went to get my hospital gear. Samantha and I chatted about Atticus and shed some tears and hugs together, I told her how I love knowing that this baby is up in heaven with their big brother.

* 2:20 am, Samantha started the pitosin
* 3:05 am, Got my epidural, Cried my eyes out. It's a very emotional thing for me, thinking about my brave Atticus who was sedated every day for 6  weeks.
* 4:00 am, still dialated 7cm. Samantha was surprised with has hard as my contractions were, that I wasn't dialated more... turns out baby was looking up :( meaning, each contraction had baby pushing in the wrong spot. So, I was position on my left side, right leg in a stirup and needed to stay there for an hour. No change so we flipped to the other side. 
* Blood pressure dropped to 80/38. Anesthesiologist hurried in, gave me fluid and kept me on blood pressure medication to keep it up.
* 5:40 am, my water broke, baby FINALLY turned around, but still only 7 cm dialated.
* 6:25 am, I was feeling tons of pressure and some pain, Samanta checked me and I was fully dialted.
*Sam wanted to do some practice pushes to get an idea of how long Id be pushing to let Dr. Nelson know. I did one push when she said, "Okay. Uhhh, no more pushing for you, Baby is right there. I'll call Dr. Nelson, it takes him 15 minutest to get here."
* Dr. Nelson get's here
* Two pushes.... out comes babies head.
* Two pushes... out comes babies body.
* Samantha says, "You have a little Lily!"

Out came a, drum roll.....  BABY GIRL

LILY ANN HANSEN
6:43 am .. 6 lbs 8 oz .. 19 inches

No words can describe the amount of pressure you feel at the end. You feel like your going to break, then instant relief and an overwhelming amount of instant love.

Eric and I totally thought we were having a boy so when a little girl came out we were both SHOCKED and then both shed happy tears. They put her on my chest and those happy tears just kept coming. She was hesitant to cry, but once they got her situated, she let out a teeny tiny cry then was chill. So chill in fact, I got worried and asked twice, "Why isn't she crying? Is she okay? Why isn't she crying?" 

Instant love.

We made it baby girl. We made it!

My sweet little teeny tiny baby GIRL!!!

Look closely at her right fingers... She's letting us know that she "comes in peace!" 

Pinking up perfectly!

Just minutes old and she found her thumb. Twice!! We are four for four.

Samantha. The worlds best Labor and Delivery nurse. Seriously.
She was the one that admitted me and got me settled in my room. I asked her if she knew who my nurse was going to be and she said, she wasn't sure but would find out. I then said, "Can you be my nurse? I really like you!" She smiled her beautiful smile and said of course, and switch some things around! 

Samantha, if you're reading this, I love you! Thank you for a wonderful delivery experience.


In Postpartem recovering and snuggling! Oh how I love her chubby cheeks and double chin. I think 4 of her 6.8 lbs are in those chubby cheeks!!

This was my only gender neutral baby outfit purchase, I of course had to make a bow just in case baby was a girl. Good think I did!! We all know how I feel about bows ;)

Squishy face.

Holding your brand new baby is the most amazing thing. Eric was headed to the hospital with Isaac and Isabel so I thought I better put some makeup on so I don't scare them!!

When Eric first told Isaac that he had a new baby sister, He teared up and with a trembling lip said, "But I wanted a brother." Eric handled it perfectly and showed in funny youtube videos of kids reactions to their new sibling which had Isaac laughing. So by the time he got to meet his new baby sister, he was okay with it...

Infact, quite happy about it! When he first saw her he said in a sweet little voice, "Hi baby Indianna..." (His newest baby cousin). Then looked at us and giggled as Eric and I said, "This isn't baby Indianna, this is your new baby sister Lily!!!" 

I was so worried he would be utterly disappointed about a sister. Thankfully I was worried for nothing, He wanted to hold Lily almost the entire time, "Mom! Can I see It's little fingers?" and "Mom? I heard It's little voice." and "Mom? When is It going to wake up?" 


Im going to have baby proof Lily from this overly excited big sister!!

Isabel goes from baby to big sister just like that. She was excited and loved on Lily for a minute or two, then decided playing with my wallet and suitcase was much more fun!

He snuggled me and Lily for the longest time!

Daddy Isaac and Isabel went home for dinner and bedtime leaving a very tired mommy and baby to snuggle and go to bed. I had been up since 10:30pm the night before!!

Lily's disgruntled face!

Snuggle time. All the time.

Monday morning I got to shower and put fresh makeup on. I felt like  a new women. I'm not huge on selfies but I wanted proof that I was actually involved in this birth thing.

Lily wasn't impressed by my fresh look. She  found it quite tiring. 

Pretti in Pink



Being brand new is exhausting!

Really really exhausting!

One of my favorite faces... the "I just got done nursing and am in a milk coma" face. Lily is an awesome nurser and latched on like a pro. She's eating every 2-3 hours.

I have treasured each quiet moment I have had to snuggle this sweet little girl knowing how wild it's going to be when we get home. She is just the sweetest thing. My heart is overflowing with love joy and gratitude for my amazing husband and our FOUR beautiful children. Lily Ann, welcome to the wild and crazy Hansen Fam. We love you to pieces. 

Tuesday October 27th
Dressed and ready to head home!



She looks bite size in the car seat.


Theres no going back!!

In the car.. Brace yourself baby girl, you have some very energetic siblings at home!

Atticus Eric Hansen
December 17, 2007
7 lbs 8 oz  * 20.8 inches
Born at 1:11 PM

Isaac Hinckley Hansen
February 10, 2011
7 lbs 1 oz  * 19.5 inches
Born at 1:01 PM

Isabel Rebecca Hansen
September 19th, 2013
7 lbs 4 oz  * 19  inches
Born at 12:48 PM

LILY ANN HANSEN
October 25th, 2015
6 lbs 8 oz * 19 inches
Born at 6:43 AM


10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to meet you Lily!

Love, Aunty Jen

Chris and Michelle said...

Yay!!! Love a good birth story! And a new niece! She is such a doll! We can't wait to meet her!!!

Anonymous said...

A great addition to your beautiful life story.
Congratulations!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!!! I was thinking about you just this morning, and was so surprised when i went to your blog and saw she is already here!!! YAY!!!! And this is so weird, but I was thinking it would be a girl. 2 boys, 2 girls!!!
So happy for all the Hansens!! And tell Isaac that being a big brother to sisters is the best super hero job there is!!

Linda in Portland OR

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!! She is a beauty!! God bless you and your beautiful family..

Camille said...

Beautiful. Both of you. You're stunning. I had two boys and then two girls. Congratulations!!

amandab said...

Congratulations!! So exciting for your whole family!

the mortensen's said...

oh my goodness this does my heart good! congrats!. She is perfect.

kecarr said...

Beautiful & I'm sure she was well loved & protected before she arrived. Thinking of you & prayers for peace & comfort

Kristin Milius said...

I don't know how I missed these new updates but SHES GORGEOUS and PERFECT!! Congrats. You look amazing Cindy.