Today was one of those days.
Sometimes the quiet kills me. I frequently have the TV on (usually ESPN) for the noise or have music on to distract myself.
I miss having a wild 4yr old boy running around. I miss the sound of his voice. I miss his laugh. I miss holding his hand. I miss seeing him snuggled on the couch or coming down the stairs. I miss watching him check the mail and telling me, "Don't worry Mom. If a bad guy comes, I'll run in the house." I miss reading bedtime stories to him and falling asleep snuggled together. I miss everything about him.
This came in the mail today...
And I burst into tears. Atticus was so excited to go to the new elementary school. Every time we drove past it (they were building it during his battle) he would ask Eric and I when he got to go. We both would tear up and say, "Soon buddy!" He wanted to eat lunch with Tristano, his buddy from across the street. He should be starting kindergarten. We should be pumping him up talking about how much fun it will be. That he will get to each lunch there. That so many of his friends will be there. He should be going to kindergarten.
While at Target today I saw a Mom with her daughter and son shopping. The daughter clearly had some type of cancer. When I see a cancer fighting kiddo, I kinda turn in to a stalker. It is SO hard for me not to run over to him/her and kiss those chubby steroid cheeks and tell them how proud I am of them. How brave they are being. And how much I love them. It is so hard for me to not go up to the mom and hug her as tight as I can and say, "Im so so sorry." or "I understand how it hurts, but hang in there." I try super hard to distract myself and keep shopping but as I go to check out, I see them get in the lane 2 over from me, so what do I do.... move over two lanes so Im behind them, wracking my brain on how to get a conversation started. (Light bulb) She has a "bedazzled" gold awareness ribbon shirt on....
Me: I love your shirt! Where did you get it?
Her: Oh! Thanks. I ordered it off ETSY.
Me: Im assuming its for Pediatric Cancer Awareness?!
Her: (looking surprised--unfortunately Pediatric cancer is not advertised like breast cancer) Yah. My daughter as Medulloblastoma.
Me: (My hearts starts beating fast.... thats a type of brain caner)
Anyway... our conversation goes on and come to find out, they go to the same hospital we went to and see our beloved Dr. Lenarsky. Again my heart started beating a mile a minute and I tried to hold back tears. Hearing that was like being homesick, but in a weird way. I do not miss why we had to be there, but I sure miss the people we got to see. We chatted for a bit about their journey and how well her daughter is doing. That she actually had 3 tumors. The large one they were able to remove and the other two were small enough that they feel chemo and radiation will do the trick. She asked about my son, to which I replied, "We weren't so lucky. And lost our sweet boy in May." She hugged me and both got teary eyed. We exchanged numbers then I went to my car and cried.
It's times like this that it's really hard to not ask why. Why could't Atticus have that type of cancer. One with a chance. Why did he have to have DIPG... then, (I dont' know If I ever mentioned it), but after our time in the PICU after Atticus had seizures and they did a CT scan and spinal tap, they found more cancer, Leptomeningial Carcinomatosis. Tumors on his neck, spine, and cancer cells circulating in his spinal fluid. It's hard to push back the "why's" when you think, OK, Heavenly Father, he was diagnosed with DIPG, so why more? Why more cancer? Isn't DIPG bad enough? And then to find out after had Atticus returned to Heavenly Father, that he didn't have DIPG but a PNET a more aggressive type of tumor. WHY? WHY? WHY? I know I have to let the "why's" go, and I really am working on it, but it is SO HARD. My mommy heart has a pulsating pain that physically hurts my soul. And some days it just too much.
We were at a play date last week and the moms were discussing the soccer team the kids will be on... Noah, Charlotte, Amelia, Gracie... I went home and cried. Atticus would be on that team and he would have loved it. He would have felt so grown up in his soccer uniform.
He had been on a "soccer team" just two weeks before being diagnosed and he loved every second of it. He would wake up in the morning and ask me, "Is it a soccer day mom?" And if it was, he would want to put his "uniform" on right away.
Sometimes I feel trapped in the "baby" phase. My friends lives are moving on. Their kids are growing up. Atticus' friends are growing up. Their starting kindgergarten. Playing soccer. Become little big people and I feel like Im missing out. I want to be doing those things too. I want to watch Atticus do those things. And I don't get too. Not here anyway. And some days it is just. so. hard. Some days I just can't stop the tears.
I miss my friend. My sous chef. My treasure seeker. My sports fanatic. My driving coach. My buddy. I miss my Atticus.
Some days it's just too much.
Such a boy!!
He LOVED this snake and name him "Snakey-boy!"
He was obsessed with eating snacks in the dryer!
Mommy me swimming lessons!
Love!
This is one of my favorites. He LOVED to make Isaac laugh!
Brotherly love!
My sous chef!
Broken Bow, OK
He and Daddy went to Target to pick out a prize for him (he had filled up his sticker chart for taking his meds bravely), when he told daddy that he wanted to pick out a present for me! Melt. My. Heart. He later told me that we needed to buy the barbie different clothes because she wasn't modest!
My boys love to be naked :)
He is such a goof troop. He loved to roll out play dough and find a spot for each car.
Then roll in it himself!!
Ohhh those steroid rosey cheeks. I LOVE YOU!!
Baseball obsession! This was his reward for "no accidents!"
He LOVED getting Isaac in the morning and would say, "Mom! Look at your boys!"
Love these boys.
Spa day at the Hansen house!
(10 wks old)
He's always been a fighter!!

.jpg)

.jpg)
.jpg)



.jpg)

.jpg)




14 comments:
Oh my. My heart just crumbles reading this. I dont know how you manage to be the wonderful woman you are but you do it! Your boys are beautiful and in sure your new little one on the way will be just as gorgeous. The perfect mix of atticus and issac! I wish i could bring atticus back to you guys:-(. God bless you all.
You and your son our both fighters. I am sending you oodles of love today. Cindy I do not know how you do it. I just hope and pray you can feel the love that is around you from the thousands of people praying for you.
So so sorry Cind. I love you and think of you so often. Your always in my heart. I know where he learned to be a fighter... You and Eric are fighters too!! Love you guys. xoxo
I see I have the same reaction as the others who have commented - my first thought is I just don't know how you do it. You are brave and a fighter just like Atticus!
Still praying for you!
I love you.
That is all.
Thanks to my cousin Lindsey for sharing your journey & letting us cry with you. Atticus was & still is an amazing inspiration!
I love the dirt pile picture, so sweet. Thank you for sharing such tender moments, I freakin love your sweet family. By the way, you have excellent taste in names:)
Carlee in Utah
I am so glad that you are Atticus' parents, so that his short life could be filled with such love, good care, and wonderful experiences.
Your willingness to let your deep pain count for something good by reaching out to others in similar circumstances is truly admirable.
So sorry. Hugs.
Hi Cindy, A friend who just lost her daughter posted this video by President Eyring on her blog and I thought it might help you. I know words and videos can't mend your broken mommy heart, but maybe this will help in a small way. Know that you're not alone.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdN8rfwW3SI
I think the fact that you approached the mother in the store shows just how strong and brave you are. I commend you for approaching this woman and reaching out to her. It is the small things that make these terrible situations more bearable and less isolating. You are amazing, Cindy!!!
Cindy i love this and i love you. What a sweet mother you are. Atti was so lucky to have a mama like you. Heavenly father sent him to you knowing his life would be short because you were able to give him a hundred years of love in his short four years.
I hope you don't feel the least bit ashamed of having hard days...you are allowed to have them today and 20 years from now! You are amazing!
I tried and tried and tried again to leave a comment. So here is the 100th attempt. For some reason it doesn't work on my phone or ipad to leave comments so I end up trying over and over and then get frustrated. I decided I'll have to get on the computer each night for the Hansen's blog. :)
I get a pit in my stomach when I know you've had a hard day. I mean Of course I know you have them but I wish I could help with the pain. I know it sounds lame. All of us that care about you feel stuck because our hearts are bursting with love for you but we can't do a whole lot with that love. But that is what prayers are for. That is what the temple prayers are for. I believe that we help you through our prayers and when times are hard remember that someone somewhere is praying for you. Maybe even at that moment. I know it won't change things but maybe help comfort you. xoxo
Post a Comment