Friday, September 7, 2012

Isaac and I went to Utah...

...August 21st-29th
My sweet sister booked a flight for us. It was just what I needed to lift my spirits. The couple weeks prior  was pretty tough. Almost as emotional as right after Atticus passed away. And I'm not going to lie, I was b-a-r-e-l-y hanging on the few days leading up to our flight. 

Isaac was an absolute GEM on the flight and such a flirt. When we could, I would follow him up and down the aisle and he would say "Hi... Hello!" to everyone. He would check out the movie they were watching, try to pick up there phone or take a sip from there drink, check out the book they were reading. It was SO funny. He had the whole plane laughing!

I downloaded a few apps for the flight, just in case, but the best entertainment ended up being the ipads camera so he could make silly faces at himself....


It was so good to see Jenny at the airport. Isaac was super excited too. We were all glad to be there. I have an amazing family and LOVE being with them.

Jenny surprised me on the way to her house from the airport with tickets to see NORA JONES!!! I was SO excited. She told me she had a surprise for me but I had no idea it would be that. I haven't been to many concerts in my life so it was VERY excited! Another fun surprise was that while I was there, I ran into my most favorite boss in the whole wide world... Lisa. I hadn't seen her since we moved to Texas in 2007. It was so good to see her even if it was for just a minute!
 
We had such a fun night. Thanks Matt and Jenny!
 


FOTO FLY...
I got Isaac's 18 month old pics taken at FotoFly, the cutest studio that does the cutest pictures. It's where I had these taken, just a short, one heck of a little ol' year, ago...

  Chunk September 2011


Chunk September 2012!!
What the heck?!?! He's gotten big and blond!! I get such picture anxiety (I get so nervous they won't turn out) so I made my nieces Jacie and Kennendy come with me for moral support! Isaac was being a litter stinker and would NOT take his thumb out of his mouth! This first one, I'm practically laying on the floor next to him having had just pulled his thumb out!
 
 
 
 
 
 
Wedding Dress Shopping...
Jenny and Matt are engaged and are planning a spring wedding. Saturday morning the bride to be, Stacie, Jacie, Kennedy and I went wedding dress shopping and had so much fun. We couldn't decided if we loved Jenny or hated Jenny. That skinny little twit looked great in everything!! She did "Say yes to the dress" and looks absolutely amazing but those pics I'll keep secret for the big day!

These are the bridesmaid dresses Stacie and I picked out ;)... Notice the cute bracelet I'm wearing. It is the coolest thing. A stranger that's now a friend had it made for me. It has 3 pictures on it. Two of both the boys and the middle one of just Atticus! I love it.


First day of school...
We were there for the first day of school for the kids! It was so fun to be around the excitement. They all looked darling (Fischer, you of course looked super cool) and had a great first day!
 
Tattoo Stand...

Some kids want to do lemonade stands but these kids wanted to do a "Tattoo Stand!" Stacie's kids crack me up. They are free spirits just like their mamma and very entertaining!!
Jay made some very cool designs!
 
Charlie was transformed in to Spider Man
 

Isaac, was not allowed to play. Mean mom I know!

The tattoo stand was quickly followed by tub time...


Isaac was obsessed with the play dirt-devil!
Karaoke...
 
Double fistin' it...


Training...
 
DIPG Momma's
We had a luncheon at Jenny's house Friday morning and it was incredible. These woman are incredible. Super-human moms. I was honored to be around them. It was of course emotional but very therapeutic. Tiff and I had met at Atticus' viewing (yes she is that amazing and was able to fly to Texas for it) and the other two amazing gals I had never met before. We had FB messaged and text but never actually talked on the phone or met. Funny how you can meet someone for the first time but already know them and love them and be bonded to them forever. We all said the same thing... "We are so glad we have each other but wish it were under different circumstances." The time went by WAY to fast so we decided that every time I am in Utah we need to meet up, even if it's just for a quick lunch. 

We talked about how each of our kids were diagnosed, compared notes and our journeys, laughed, cried, hugged,  and buoyed each other up. Sure wish Texas and Utah were closer. I LOOOOOOOOVED being with them. It was pretty crazy too, time wise. Tiff just reached the 3 year mark. Stephanie the two year mark. Mandy the one year mark. And me, 3 months. Obviously grieving is different for everyone but it was interesting to see how we all handled it and are continuing to handli it and great to gain strength from each other. Can't wait for my next trip out ladies. 3 wks!!

Tiff (Sadie).. Me (Atticus).. Mandy (Dylan).. Stephanie (Rex)
 
Chunk and his girl Shiloh (Tiff's youngest)


Me and my brother Spencer


Bean bag toss with Auntie Jen


Matt and I getting some yard work in. Pulling weeds is very therapeutic.


We surprised the grandparents and got GREAT reactions! It was really really fun. I thought my mom was going to hyperventilate and my dad totally chucked his phone in excitement! Eric's mom stood speechless at the door for I swear, five minutes. It was awesome!
 
My siblings.. breakfast at the park!
Spencer.. Jenny.. Me.. Stacie


 Jay and chunk have so much fun together.
 
Isaac loooves "Fishy!"


Isaac and Lexy giving loves!
 

McDonald's with Grandpa Jim
 

The Aquarium...
The boys had SO much fun. Stacie's boys actually enjoyed seeing the sharks sting rays and fish. Isaac however,  mostly enjoyed running around and getting Grandma and Grandpa to chase after him! It was a really fun outing.

Jay was talking to one of the employees about when a shark egg would hatch when he said, "Mom. MOM!! Give him your cell phone number.... (to the employee)... can you call my mom when the egg hatches?" It was SO cute!
 

It was a really good trip. I love being with my family. They are such a great support system. It was hard to leave but always good to be back with the hubby.

Back in Texas and doing laundry! 


And back in Atticus' room making messes!
 
So we are back in Texas and back in reality. Like it or not. Some days are good. Some days I can honestly say, "Today I was truly happy!' Some days I can think about Atticus and smile. I can look at pictures of Atticus and not cry. Some days I can see how in time, we can be truly happy again.

But other days are so hard it hurts. Some days it seems so unfair. Some days it's a constant uphill battle to survive. I feel lost. I look at other families and wonder if our family will ever feel complete again.

I know Im a broken record, but I can't help it. I try really hard to be positive but it's hard. It's one of the reason I don't post as frequently. Im a bit of a downer and no one wants to be around a downer.  It's hard to be happy. It's hard to try and be "normal" again. I want to sleep for days on end. Stay in my pajama's for the rest of my life and eat until Im 700 pounds (Im unfortunately doing really good at that part and keep eating my sorrows away). It's hard to not judge other people and their trials. It's hard to not think, "you have no idea what hard is." I know it's wrong to think that way. That it's prideful and I hate it. I pray for humility and kindness and try to remember that whatever trial we are currently in will of course seem like the most intense trial to us because it's "our" trial. So who am I to judge what someone else thinks is hard?  It's hard to not wonder what Atticus would be doing. Hard to not wonder how much happier would/could this moment be if we had both our kids with us.

I crave the sound of his voice. The smell of his skin. The feel of his hand in mine. I miss laughing at his silly witty jokes. I miss treasure hunting with him.  I miss having him as my sous chef. I miss playing ball with him. I miss his ridiculously addictive laugh.  I miss tucking him in at night. Reading him stories and singing him songs. He would want 10 each night. I miss hearing him say, "Mom... I can't sleep, rest, or relax!" I miss hearing him knock on the walls as he comes out of his room in the morning, his sneaky way of telling me he's awake. I miss hearing him run after Eric on his way to work asking him what time he'll be home then running to tell me the answer. I even miss the hard days, they days where he was sassy. The days where he felt he knew better than me. The days where I went to bed totally and utterly exhausted and emotionally frazzled. The days where I would think, "Did I seriously sign up for this mom gig?" I miss talking to him. Answering his questions. Listening to him sing and play make believe. I miss HIM.

I hate that Im already forgetting. It makes me sick. I hate that one day I won't remember the sound of his voice. That I will be forced to watch a video to remember. I HATE that he's gone. I really really do. I want him in my arms. I want cancer to go away forever. I want to take back every "bad mom" moment. I want to take back all those nights I was frustrated that he wouldn't stay in his bed and just let him sleep with us. I want to take back all those times I told him to "hang on" or "let me finish the laundry." I want him back. I want to fix the way I feel but can't.

We went to the cemetery and due to the hot summer there was a big crack in the dirt over him, and I honestly wondered, how deep would I have to dig to touch him. That's how desperate I am at times.
My mind is exhuasted. The constant battle of... just give up it's too hard to keep fighting, you can do this.

Heavenly Father really knows what he's doing because right at this very moment I want to go to sleep and not wake up until the 2nd coming, but seeing the green light on the baby monitor tells me to say my prayers, count my blessings and get up with Isaac in the morning. That tomorrow has to be better. That like it or not this is my life and I need to make the best of it. I don't know why this had to happen but I know it will all make sense one day. It's just getting to "one day" one day at a time.

20 comments:

Forshee Family said...

cindy, oh how I wish I could give you the biggest, strongest, hug. How I wish just for a moment I could take your pain and tears from you. Your sons are both so lucky to have you for their mother. You are a blessing.

Mary said...

It's ok to be a broken record! I've never dealt with anything this hard, but even in my limited experience I know that things take time. I once took about a year to really forgive someone for something that was kind of not a big deal. So three months? You should not feel rushed to be healed. Your post just fills me with so much love for you and your family and me and my family. I wish I could do more for you. But know that everyone whose life you have touched continues to be touched by you and your experience.

Adam and Bri VanSleeuwen said...

Thanks so much for your blog and for posting the reality. I love how honest you are. That's what we want to hear. For those who know what you are going through and those who don't we would rather hear the truth. You, Atticus and your sweet family have touched so many people's lives. Your blog has a sweet spirit about it!

Angie said...

Dear Cindy,
You are an amazing Mother. You inspire me to do better, hug my sons more and clean my house less. I think you and Atticus have touched and helped so many people, more than you will ever realize. I too wish I could give you a huge hug, words just aren't enough sometimes.

kimberlee shaffer said...

Cindy, I don't think you are a broken record. I love your honesty. It really is therapeutic and so helpful to hear. I just think you are pretty awesome and I still pray for you and your peace. It hurts to read about Atticus but I am too attached not to. I feel so much love for him and for you. Thank you again for sharing the truth.

Krista said...

Cindy, I also want to thank you for being truthful. I in NO way am ever happy to hear that you're in pain and hurting, but I told my husband after your last post that I am so obsessed with reading your blog because you are so REAL. And I don't know how other people handle it, maybe others really CAN get over the loss of a child or loved one, but when I read of others who do and then who seem to heal and bounce back.... I disconnect because I think that I, in their situation, would never be okay again! I mean, I would hope I would be okay, but I could never be "okay WITH" losing a child, my husband, etc. So reading the way you're handling this, again, not that I'm happy to see you suffer, but I feel your pain in the smallest way because I feel like I would handle it exactly the same way you are. I feel like I have finally found a "friend"who understands my utter fear of losing someone, especially my child. And because I feel like I can relate to your feelings (again. Not trying to downplay your emotions) I pray and pray and cry and cry for you and beg the Lord to heal your broken heart. You are living my literal worst nightmare and I thank you for sharing the good, the bad, the ugly, the hope, the true feelings, everything. I love you like a sister even though we've never met! Glad you have a real sister to love you and take such good care of you, that was an amazing gift she gave you! Keep up the fight Cindy, you can do it. You have to! It's okay to grieve, give yourself that. No-one expects this to be easy for you. No one is judging you because you're not okay yet. You've just been through hell and back. Just don't stop looking for those sweet breaths of relief along the way with that sweet little thumb sucker you've got there :)

Leah said...

I am so glad you went to Utah to get away for a bit. So glad you had such a great time and got to do so many things. Your family is awesome!!!!! And I love surprises. Love them. So much fun!!!
Cindy, keep taking each day one step at a time. I love you. So many are praying for you. So many that love you. I can't help but read everything about what you miss and cry. Can't help but hold my breath when I think if how much you miss him. How much Eric misses him. You're right, this will all make sense one day. One step At a time.

Stephanie said...

Great pictures!! Atticus looks like an angel in that last photo, and he truly is one:)

Sammy said...

Love you Cindy!!

Jared & Shannon said...

So glad you were able to get away and spend some time with the family. As always your posts are amazing and you are too! I keep praying for your family and hope that you will keep having more and more happy days.

Robin S. said...

Three things:

1. I love that you have such a great support system/family taking care of you
2. Chunk looks so cute with his thumb in his mouth
3. I'm still praying for you, girl!

From a friend you've never met in NY,
Robin

Jared and Brielle Rucks said...

everything i want to say has already been said by everyone else. but, you truely are an amazing lady. though i have never met you, i love reading your blog. thank you for sharing such an intimate part of your life with me. i still pray everyday for you and eric and chunk. keep on keeping on. you are doing a great job. sending lots of love and hugs and prayers your way.

Brandon, Emily & Sydney Wilson said...

Cindy....I love that you met with the other DIPG mommas in Utah. Yeah for eternal and inspired friendships. A tender mercy for sure. Being close to those who have suffered similar things I can only imagine the loving support and strength you'd recieve from one another. Love that you got to see your family. Love that you could say you experienced a happy day. Love that you are honest and share just how difficult and exhausting the hard days can be. I just love hearing from you. Thanks for sharing. Take your time...with everything.

Davis and Carter's Mommy said...

You don't know me, but I wanted you to know a Team Sadie follower is still praying for you (and the Huish's) every day. May God bless and buoy you up.

Anonymous said...

I just heard this song and thought of you.
http://youtu.be/1ITrd7fM6aY

The Johnson's said...

Hi Cindy, I just heard the new song from Taylor Swift--called Ronan. Inspired by a mom who lost her 4 year old to cancer. Here is a link to the story on KSL--I immediately thought of you.
http://www.ksl.com/?sid=22091375&nid=1011&title=mom-blogs-about-death-of-child-inspires-taylor-swift-song&s_cid=featured-5

Thinking of you!! So glad you got to see your DIPG moms!

OSU 98 said...

Hugs. I don't even know you, but you are a great mom, great wife, great sister, great friend - and a great example of faith. You inspire my faith, remind me that God has a plan and give me a greater appreciation for everything I am blessed with. I pray for healing and strength on your tough days and say a small prayer of thanks for your good days. Hugs.

Anonymous said...

Cindy, I hope you will keep blogging, even when what you have to say is hard and sad. You have a right to each of those negative emotions, and should feel free to express them- no matter what anyone else thinks. They are real, and need to be let out. You came by those emotions honestly- in the most horrible way, and I don't think anyone would judge you for them.
I think about you every day, and continue to pray for you. Keep fighting. Lots of people care about you.

Angie said...

So thrilled you had a great trip to Utah. Your Mr. Chunk is too ADORABLE. Love his new pictures. I'm so sorry for you hurt. So many find courage in their own lives watching you live the way you do.
Keep fighting! The reward is worth it. I love you!!

Ang

Christina Zabriskie said...

You don't know me. My sister-in-law knows of you and your family somehow, but I have been following your blog since before Atticus passed away. I just want to say thank you for sharing this painful and emotional journey with us. You are such an inspiration for all of us. I obviously hope to never have to deal with this kind of loss, however, you have shown and continue to show that with the help of our Heavenly Father you can continue to move forward until the day you are reunited. I am so sorry for your loss and I can only pray that the extremely hard days will get fewer and far between. Again, thanks.