Eric and I decided from the get to that we would donate Atticus' tumor; when the time came. That it would be selfish of us not to. It's the only way the medical world can research these "un-touchable, un-operable" tumors. It would be selfish of us to not try and help the next generation of DIPG kids and families.
After Atticus passed away and we had our time with him, the funeral home came and got him and took him to Children's Hospital in Dallas, where he would have that horrible life-eating monster taken out. I have absolutely no words to properly describe how awful it was watching/helping get Atticus situated on the stretcher then watching him drive away. No words can even begin to touch it. All I know is that I fell to the ground and don't remember much.
We didn't get to see him/his body, again until Friday June 1st. The day of his viewing. Dressing my sweet boy was surreal and something I want to keep sacred. Something between me, Eric, our sweet Angel, and the Lord. I kind of flipped out, well not kind of, did flip out, and made my mom and mother-in-law leave the room. I wanted to be alone with my sons body. I have the biggest pit in my stomach right now... As I look at my sweet boy, overcome with emotion, trying to remember each and every detail of his little body, I noticed his port was taken out and the dressing from it and from his shunt surgery were removed. Something I was glad he didn't have to suffer through. Heaven knows that boy DID NOT like to have his dressings changed. I also noticed bruising from where the incisions were and my whole body filled with such intense "mamma-bear" emotions thinking, "those dang doctors better have been gentle with him. They better have removed those sticky adhesive nightmares with care. They better have remember there there is a mommy aching, part of her heart dying as you analyze and chart about her first born. You better have realized that this isn't just ANY child. It's Atticus."I completely broke down. Pushed those thoughts away, said a prayer and did what I needed to do.
SOOOO, we donated Atticus' tumor. Dr. Goldman left me a message the other day saying that the autopsy results were in. My heart raced. Listening to his message put me back into "Cancer" mode, where messages from the Oncology Doctors was a typical thing. It put me back to when Temedar Decodron Bactrum and all those other medications and medical terms were part of our every day vocabulary. But I will admit, that as hard as it was listening to the message, it was so good to hear Dr. Goldman's voice. We love them. All of them. They are a part of our family and will forever be a part of our life story. Dr. Goldman came to the viewing and it meant a lot to us.
I spoke with Dr. Goldman yesterday, August 2nd, our 2 month mark from Atticus' funeral... I have not held, kissed, or lay eyes on Atticus' physical body in 60 days. 2 months may not seem like a lot to the average life but let me tell you, 60 days in our life, especially right now, seems like an eternity.
The results... Funny how I never really thought of the word "Autopsy" before but now the word seems so cold. So definite. So final. And I think to myself, did I really put my son through something so cold.. definite and final? But then remember that he would have wanted this. We all did. We all wanted to help find a cure for this cancer.
It was hard for me to read the Autopsy report. Not just because I couldn't pronounce half of the words but because it was MY child they were talking about, "The body is that of a male child appearing to be the stated age of 4 years... The skin is pale... fixed rigor mortis... The head hair is red-blonde... The eyes are blue-grey..."
I miss those blue eyes. They never seemed grey to me.
Atticus was diagnosed January 13, 2012 with Diffuse Intrinsic Pontine Glioma. After talking with Dr. Goldman and reading through the 28 page Autopsy report, we learned that he did not have a Glioma but a PNET, a MUCH more aggressive tumor. The Neurosurgeon said that Atticus was covered in tumors with multiple masses in his midbrain, pons, and medulla.
I totally and completely broke down. Called Eric and broke down again. My heart breaks for Atticus. I know he's not suffering now, but that doesn't help me now. He suffered and didn't show it. He suffered but kept a smile on his face. He suffered, being "covered" in tumors but kept going. I hate that I couldn't fix it. I hate that I couldn't save him. I hate that I have burned in the back of my mind those terrible awful moments. I hate that kids have to have cancer. I hate that Atticus didn't have a Glioma but a PNET. Did it really have to be worse? Really?
Stupid tumor. Stupid location. You know how Realtors always say, "Location. Location. Location!" Well AMEN to that. LOCATION. I just want to scream. Had the tumor had the tiniest bit of growth outside the pons we could have biopsied it. Or I don't know.. been in a totally different location!!! AHHHHHH! I just want to scream.
But then reality check. It wouldn't have change a thing. Whether a glioma or PNET the result is the same. As Dr. Goldman said, "Could treating the tumor as a PNET given Atticus a couple more weeks or months? Who knows? But I do know, that he would have suffered more and would have been in the hospital a lot more." Which is against what we wanted in the first place. Quality vs. Quantity.
Although the outcome of gliomas and PNETs is the same, there would have been a few differences.. with Glioma's you radiate JUST where the tumor is, not the entire brain and Temeodar is the chemotherapy of choice. With PNETs you radiate the ENTIRE brain AND spine and use a "much more aggressive" (Dr. Goldman's words) chemotherapy requiring more hospital visits.
Anyway, here are a few "clips" from the Autopsy report.
"The most significant finding at autopsy was the presence of a primitive neuroectodermal tumor (PNET) in ALL regions of the brainstem as well as diffusely within the Leptomeninges surrounding the brainstem. Although the history suggested the tumor was initially centered in the pons, there was gross evidence of leptomeningeal involvement extending rostrally to the optic chiasm, to the medulla, and laterally to both cerebellar hemispheres. The tumor had uniform morphology, with malignant cells invading the brainstem parenchyma. Children with CNS PNETs show a worse overall survival rate compared to children with medulloblastoma."
"There are extensive leptomeningeal adhesion's... (a bunch of other stuff)..., most prominent on the anterior surface of the pons. They extend to the medulla."
"Tumors on both right and left sides and in all THREE regions of the brainstem..."
"There is a infiltrative tumor involving the parenchyma of both brainstem sections..."
"There is prominent expansion of the subarachnoid and Virchow-Robin spaces by tumor..."
"Rare perivascular pseudorosettes are also identified..."
"In summary, this 4-year-old male child died of a brainstem primitive neuroectodermal tumor that had spread to the midbrain as well as diffusely within the leptomeninges.
So there you have it. It doesn't change anything but having the knowledge makes me feel different. A realization that Atticus suffered more than we know making him even MORE remarkable. He bore his burden with such courage and bravery. He is truly amazing.
WE LOVE YOU SWEET BRAVE BOY... xoxo
Friday, August 3, 2012
Autopsy Report
at
2:43 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
17 comments:
Words are so completely inadequate but I still just want to say love you. And geez this sucks. You must feel like you're never going to get a respite. And that Atticus. Wow. What an amazing, inspiring little man. TOUGH doesn't begin to describe him. Hmmm, maybe he gets that from someone close to him. Maybe someone like his mom and dad. XOXO
I can not even put into words what I want to tell you. Every day I try to be the kind of mom you are. Your sweet boy is always apart of our lives. Continue to send love your way.
I think you should scream! Scream until you don't want to scream again. I can't imagine how this must have opened some of your fresh wounds- but I think there were some tender mercies that we didnt see too, and maybe that's the take-away message. Hang in there darling. Eric too. Love you all! Lindsey
That sweet, sweet boy. That hurts me to read...I just can't imagine how it must feel for you and for Eric. I'm so sorry to hear that he suffered even more than anyone thought. I agree...scream it out. You are one brave, brave family!
I feel an ache in my heart reading this and cant even imagine how you both feel as his parents!! Your sweet sweet boy is the reason that everytime i want to complain about something stupid and pointless that my little ones do i do NOT! Atticus is my hero . And so are you!!
Oh Cind. I don't even know what to say. I want to scream with you. I want all this crying to make something better...to fix something...anything. I hate cancer so much. I hate that it spread all over sweet Atti's body. Having said that, I am so proud of you and Eric for donating it for research. I can't even imagine how hard that must have been. But the gift you gave for the sake of research and someday a cure is a priceless gift to humanity. I love you so much.
Stacie
We will never forget that sweet baby boy or your family, though my son only played 1 season of t ball with him, he vividly remembers him! You are an amaziingly strong woman and God bless you for finding the strength to do that so maybe another child can live! We are always thinking and praying for you guy
Love
Jamie, Camryn, Logan, and Sidney
You brave parents. How strange it must be to learn all of this now. Hugs and hugs and wish that could somehow make a difference! :S
I think you are a pretty amazing and brave mom. My daughter had a brainstem glioma. After her death I requested her medical record. I started reading it and it stressed me out so much; I could hardly understand a word of it... and none of it sounded good. It wasn't good. Reading your blog puts me right back to where I was twenty years ago... and twenty years ago I was sure hoping that by now mommy's and daddy's and siblings and especially our little four-year-olds wouldn't still be going through brain tumors like these. Bless your heart. I do know how you feel.
Hugs from,
Lesley Leger
lesleyleger.blogspot.com
(my daughter's story)
How amazing that you could donate his tumor to help others. It's heart wrenching to read about how those tumors were spreading over his body. You guys had to watch him go through so much but remember that Heavenly Father is kind and merciful and Atticus had more moments with his own angels from the other side of the veil helping him too - I know he'll tell you about them some day. I love you Cind. I'm amazed as I read this that the Lord really really needed Atticus. The incredible spped and spreading of that cancer is evidence. Doesn't make it easier right now but it makes me smile thinking of how busy he must be in Heaven in his typical Atti fashion.
I just can't believe the news! Very sad, but I'm glad he wasn't in the hospital more. Hugs!
He is a HERO that Atticus. A brave darling hillarious little HERO.
xoxoxo
Ang
Ah, poor Atticus...The list and description of those tumors is unbelievable! I'm so sorry it turned out to be worse than suspected. But maybe it was necessary, so that he could pass through the trial as quickly as possible, with his suffering shortened as much as possible.
And I know that funeral homes are so careful and so respectful when taking care of their duties. I'm sure they were gentle with Atticus.
I wanted to ask you something and you don't have to answer. I have been keeping up with your story and I can't even begin to comprehend the pain. Having said that, I always wondered how you guided Atticus through this. Physical pain is terrible, but I cannot even begin to process the thought that he might have been scared or sad. Was he? I never got the feeling that he was. He was so little and yet so strong.
Still think about you guys and Atticus everyday. I hope you are finding comfort! My heart still aches so much for you. Thank you for continuing to share.
I cannot imagine the abject horror of reading such a clinical nightmare - especially it being about your first-born. I hope you can take a bit of comfort in the knowledge that the good memories will slowly but surely edge out these bad ones -- when the happiness and joy that Atticus enjoyed in his life will over-shadow his struggles --- when the day finally comes when you are reunited as a family. I am so sorry that you must travel this road.
I can not believe I have never left a comment because I have been following your story ever since I read a link on a friend' facebook page. I don't know you but I feel like I do and I think you and your family are amazing. Your sweet little boy is such an inspiration. Being a parent to 3 little kids I can't even imagine what you guys have gone through. Can I just say that like your Atticus you guys have enormous amounts of bravery and courage...even if you don't always want to have those qualities. Your family is one my mind frequently. I have put your name on the temple prayer roll and recently as I was struggling I read "The Infinite Power of Hope" conference talk by President Dieter F. Uchdorf and for some reason today your name and that talk came to my mind. It is one of my very favorite talks and always inspires me as I reread it during different challenges. I hope and pray that during this difficult time you can keep your light that shines so powerfully and so bright alive. What loving parents you are and again I commend your for your strength, courage and bravery. Thanks for sharing your life with the world. You and your Atticus have touched so many lives. God bless you.
Post a Comment