My name is Cindy Hansen and Im a "Grieving Parent."
Sometimes I feel like I am/ should should be in "AA" grievance style, "Grieving Parents Anonymous." It's something we will carry forever. We lost our son. Pretty powerful words.
You know in movies, particularly kid movies, where the main character is faced up against a tough decision and is visited by an angel on one shoulder and a little red devil on the other? That's what I feel like is going on in my head. A constant ongoing battle. Always.
The little red devil is say, "You can't do this. How on earth can your survive without Atticus? How on earth can you forget that YOU felt his heart stop beating. YOUR hand was on his bare chest. YOU felt the coldness settle in. YOU heard is last rattling congested breaths. How on earth can you forget him seizing in your arms. Being told he was going to die in the ER. How on earth can you get over your heart ripping into a million tiny pieces every time you see a picture of him. How? How? How...?"
The little angel is saying, "You CAN do this. Of course your hearts aches. You LOVED. Of course your brought to tears every time you look at his picture, you loved. He will ALWAYS be yours. That sweet baby of yours is happy. He is out of pain and anxiously waiting to see you too. Of course you can do this because Heavenly Father will never abandon you. You had the tender mercy of loving your child to the very last second. You had the blessing of holding him and comforting him a way that only a mommy can do. YOU can do this."
Some days are better than others, but I know I can. It's just the hardest thing I have ever and will ever do. It's like I have two lives. The life where I completely avoid and the life where I "lost Atticus." Atticus had two lives too. Life without cancer and life with cancer. They don't mix. It's better that they don't, emotionally speaking. At least for now.
Tears are streaming down my face as I write this. Im a sobbing mess. I miss him. SO much. What I wouldn't give to hold that sweet boy. To kiss him. To hold his hand. To watch him make my favorite "fishy-face." To hear his contagious giggle. To hear him say, "Sure love ya!" To tell him Im sorry for the mistakes I made. Im sorry that he had to suffer but so proud of him for being the "brave soul." That as hard as I tried to be strong for him, in the end, it was him who was strong for me. What I wouldn't give to tell him I love him one more time.
Oh Atticus, I miss you. I really really do. I miss you so much my head is spinning. I don't know what to do without you. How to be a mom without you. But as much as I don't want to, I will try. I will try for your brother and for your daddy. I will try to put one foot in front of the other. I will try for you. I love you. I love you. I love you. I love you.
I have got to get a grip. This is ridiculous. It is 2:57am and Im a bawling mess.
~~~~~
Ok. Back on track.
Trying means venturing out and going out of my comfort zone. Risking being asked questions and exposing myself to the raw emotions. Trying, means facing those raw emotions head on and it hurts. For instance, I was grocery shopping, something I hadn't done for at least a month. Probably two. Family always did that for us... so don't go worrying that our kids starved:). Anyway, I was at Walmart going down the water bottle aisle and my heart started racing, my face started getting hot and I immediately started to cry, "What is that sound?" I thought. I looked around, tried to get my tears under control, and found the source of the anxiety. It was the water jug refill machine... it sounds identical to Atticus' IV pump in the hospital. I have never left a store so fast in my life.
I can't go to Target without getting emotional or crying. Atticus loved target and LOOOVED their basketball shorts and toy aisle. I have to completely avoid the children's clothing and toys.
I now hate the sound of firetrucks and ambulances (sorry Sunnyvale firefighters and EMT's, still love you all). Every time I hear sirens or see an ambulance pass me with flashing lights, I get a pit in my stomach and on occasion, burst in to tears, remembering the night Atticus had his seizures and later being told he would most likely die. Sending the text to our families to "Get here ASAP." One particular time I was on the freeway and had to pull over I was crying so hard. Thankfully Isaac was not with me.
Church is a bitter sweet. I of course want to be there and love going to church, but our way of "surviving" is basically avoiding. We push thoughts of Atticus out of our head, not because we don't love him, because let me tell you, there has never been a kid more loved than him, but because we loved him so much and miss him so much, we are attacked with such intense emotions we don't know how to handle them. Monday through Saturday that methods seems to work pretty good, avoidance... (yes we are going to therapy and yes we realize that this is probably not the most healthy way to deal with it). Sunday is dooms day. I know in time I will find it a place of peace but as of now, I get anxiety driving there, remembering how nauseous I was driving there the day of his funeral. As I walk in the chapel, I can't help but picture his casket. In the Relief Society room, the classroom where the women meet and have a lesson, I can't help but remember that this is the last place I was able to kiss my child. The place where I said my final goodbye to his mortal body. The place where I literally almost lost it. The place where I truly felt like my life had ended. I watch Atticus' friends and think, "I don't love my child any less than they love their. Why did I have to loose mine?" Not that I would want this to happen to anyone ever... it's just hard watching cute Noah and Emery.
When Atticus was in the PICU and we knew he was going to live, I remember in one of my posts saying that we, "had a taste of death and it is very very bitter." I was right. This is our bitter reality.
Just for the record, as Im sure it may seem like my faith is waivering, it is not. I KNOW that my Redeemer lives. I KNOW that I will see my sweet Atticus again. I know that somehow and although I don't know how yet, the atonement of our Savior will help me find peace. I know that we have not been left comfortless. I KNOW that my sweet 4 year old was a true missionary of the Lord. I know that if I gave up, turned against the church or got angry with the Lord, I would be diminishing the importance and purity of Atticus' mission. That although this is ridiculously hard, we can and will get through this. Because of the Lord. Because of His mercy. And because of our knowledge that "Families can be together forever."
This has been eye opening, as far as my personal testimony goes. It has intensified my beliefs and love of the gospel but also made me realize that I am not nourishing my personal testimony. It seems like I am willing to pour my heart out to anyone who is willing to listen to me except the Lord. And I need to change that. We are great at blessing our food, having family prayer at night, and having prayer with Isaac before bed, but I am totally lacking in my personal effort while conversing with the Lord. I need to pray to Him as though I was talking to a dear friend. Because He is. Truth be told, it's pure laziness. It takes effort to verbally pray rather than pray silently. It takes effort to really think about what I am grateful for and what things I need comfort in. But I can honestly say, that when I verbally pray and put forth effort, I have never gone wrong and never left a prayer without peace in my heart. I also need to get back on track with reading the scriptures. Even though I don't always understand what's going on, I always am glad I read. My goal this week is to read one, just one scripture every day this week.
I can see how loss, especially the loss of a child could be a testimony breaker. It's tough. But for me, it creates a new type of urgency. I don't want to do anything that will jeapordize seeing Atticus again. I want Isaac to see that when given a tough road to travel, it is Heavenly Father and His gospel that will see you through.
~~~~~
Becky (mom-in-law) left Sunday night so today (Monday) was my first day of my "new life." It went better than I had anticipated. I only had two panic attacks and only cried twice. Isaac and I went grocery shopping. We played outside: swings, bubbles, checked the mail. I made dinner... I did it. I made it through my first day. I had hard moments. Tender moments. "Isaac is the best kid ever" moments. And, "This feels really weird and unnatural" moments. We're back to one child and it is really bizarre. But I did it.
We see our grievance therapist tomorrow, well, I guess it's today now, and Im glad. I think she is going to be really helpful.
~~~~~
Miss you sweet boy. I love you.
35 comments:
Cindy - you never have to "get a grip" and your grieving will never be "ridiculous". It is yours. I cannot imagine trying to shift into a new normal feeling like you lost everything. Don't let anyone fault you for your feelings or your tears. It's all part of a process. My prayers continue for you guys! Love, Annie Reid
Cindy,
You don't have 1 angel on your shoulder telling you that "You CAN do it!" You have THOUSANDS AND THOUSANDS of angels on your shoulders SHOUTING to you and cheering you on saying "YOU CAN DO IT! YOU CAN DO HARD THINGS!" Atticus is the one SCREAMING it! No I haven't experienced such great loss and pray I never have to! I cry reading your posts...I smile when I know you are smiling or see pictures of you smiling! You are amazing and I thank you from the bottom of my heart for the words you have spoken....it has changed my life as a mother to my children! I continue to pray for you and think about your family often!
You cannot stay on the summit forever;
You have to come down again.
So why bother in the first place?
Just this:
What is above knows what is below,
But what is below does not know what is above.
One climbs, on sees.
One descends, one sees no longer,
But one HAS SEEN
There is an art of conducting oneself by the memory of what one saw higher up.
When one can no longer see, one can at least know.
-Rene Daumal
Your faith is strong and will see you through. Just remember, you can do hard things!
Cindy-I just want you to know we think about you and your family and sweet Atticus all the time. You're on my heart a lot and I pray you feel peace and courage to get through each day. We are always here if you need anything.
Love, Nurse Amanda
Thank you for sharing Cindy, I hope and pray the Lord pours out his blessings upon you.
I totally agree about the little angel and devil. And sometimes I think we are so hard on ourselves. If you mourn too much, you don't have a strong enough testimony. If you don't mourn enough then something is wrong with you too. I heard a quote where Russell M. Nelson said "mourning is one of the deepest expressions of pure love. It is a natural response in complete accord with divine commandment ..." and then he quotes D&C 42:45. You are strong and wonderful. Be nice to yourself and allow yourself to grieve however you need to. Continuing to pray for you and send hugs your way.
Thinking and praying for you often. You made it through your first day. One foot in front of the other and you will keeping going. *hugs*
Although it is NOT the same, I have gone thru grief recently. I took care of both of my parents as they died of different terminal illnesses.I know that it is hard to feel the love of our Savior but it is there. And you will feel that peace again. There is no time clock for it, everyone is different. You are a great example to everyone but most of all to Issac. What a gift you are giving him by blogging all of this. He will get to feel your love for Atticus as Issac one day reads this. But most of all, you are giving him the gift of example of love and testimony. You have the right to be mad, sad and any other feeling you have. The days you want avoidance , well you have that right too. Issac is going to thank you some day for being who you are. You are stronger than you know.
Please now that we are still here with you, continuing to thinking about you and pray for you and your family. I still check your blog every day just like I did when Atticus was still here with you. You keep doing whatever it takes to get by and we will keep supporting you.
sending lots of hugs and prayers your way Cindy stay strong...
Thank you for sharing. Still praying for you and your family every night and think about you all the time. I just thought of a quote that I love "when life is more than you can stand, kneel." You are doing an amazing job of trying to figure out this new life you have and you have so many people pulling for you.
Bless your broken heart! As we pray for you, our Heavenly Father is anxious for you to pray to Him. He will bless you as you grieve because He loves you. He just needs you to tell Him EXACTLY what He can do to help - be SPECIFIC! Hang in there. Whether or not life ever gets easier, you will be blessed for enduring to the end - one day or minute at a time! Thank you for helping us try to understand your pain. You have changed many lives as we strive to love our families even more and are reminded what our blessings should be. We never know when it will be our turn to say good-bye to family. What a gift your blog is. LOVE you tons!
Salt Lake faithful reader
Oh Cindy. My heart hurts for you. It aches in a way I have never had before and takes my breath away thinking of what you must feel. I love you. So much. I am in awe at the way you express yourself. You have such a way with words. Thank you for sharing how you feel. You CAN do this. You know that. YOU WILL do this. And I am one of the many cheering you on. I love you.
Hugs. Just hugs.
xoxo keep on keeping on! you are doing a great job.
Cindy-aaah my heart aches for you. I do not know you but I have followed your blog since a friend told me about it. You are an inspiration. Atticus was so lucky to have such a great mother. He chose you. Life can be so hard and sometimes it is too much. Too much for one to take. I love a passage in the bible that I think about often. Mathew 11:28-30 "Come to me, all who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light"...........When it get's to hard only deal with what you can and let the lord carry the rest. I pray for you and your family.
Thank you for sharing! I look forward to reading your posts and you are such an inspiration to all of us! You and your family have been and will continue to be in our prayers! Hang in there Cindy god is with you always. {{{{HUGS}}}}}
I am dealing with some pretty heavy stuff right now, but nothing that can even compare to the loss you have experienced. People tell me "you are so strong". I know they mean well, but I just want to shout, I am not strong, I would love to not have to deal with any of this. I understand your confusion and your happy to tears and back to anger all in a matter of 10 mins. Grief does some crazy things to us. Feeling the intense loss and wondering how we can continue to live, how will our hearts ever not feel so completely shattered? HOW? All I can say is that it does happen and those times when we cry out to Jesus and wonder how we can face one more day without our loved one here, Gods amazing Grace is sufficient. Praying for you and your family as you continue through this valley of the shadow of death.
Love you Cindy! You and your family are always in my prayers! Xoxo
Your words always bring me to tears. I continue to wear my Angels for Atticus bracelet... I have yet to take it off. I never got to meet him personally, but he will always have a special place in my heart. Your family gives me strength. You all are amazing. I will never forget your family.
I can it imagine the depths of pain you are feeling, and I am so sorry you have to hurt so bad. You are a beautiful person and you are doing the best you can-which is better than many people do. Precious Atticus will always be in our hearts, even though I never had the privilege of meeting him. We keep you in our prayers and Heavenly Father will help you find peace and comfort somehow someway. Thank you for sharing your beautiful testimony. You are amazing.
I came across Psalm 147:3 this morning and thought of your family. "He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds." Praying that the Lord has begun to heal your broken heart, however that may look.
Cindy, my cousin Julie, who is also your cousin, sent me the link to your blog. Reading your post(s) brought back so many emotions. My son Ian was delivered stillborn last year, at 35 weeks. Now while our stories are so very different (even my 8 year old realized soon after Ian died that it would have been much harder had he lived with us first and then died), I do understand all the emotions you are dealing with. Grief is miserable. BUT it does get better. I remember thinking that wasn't possible, but it really got easier. The sadness is still there, I still cry in random stores and still hate the baby section in all stores,, but the sadness isn't as overwhelming. It doesn't make me panic anymore. Your strength at the cemetery amazes me, I still struggle going there. I will think of it differently now because of you. Thank you for that. Like I said, I know our stories are different, but if want to feel less alone on the grieving journey you can check out my blog posts from last year. (I think they are tagged with Ian, he was delivered March 4th 2011). Stay strong when you can, remember to turn to Christ for strength (I found myself not praying simply bc I didn't want to cry...not the answer!!), and let yourself be sad when you need to. Heavenly Father understands your pain, He expects you to have strong emotions about Atticus, don't feel bad about what you feel. Thinking of you. --ashlee
just realized that Julie is not your cousin, but your friends cousin...just didn't want to confuse you. sorry!
-ashlee
Cindy,
I, too, have followed your blog since a friend posted a link. I have 2 boys, almost 4 and almost 8. I, too, find your way with words amazing, your strength unbelievable, and your obvious love unwavering. You are an incredible mother; one of, if not THE, best in this world. Thank you for inspiring me to be a better mother and to believe in a higher power. I hope, someday, to stumble across a collection of children's books starring everyone's favorite brave kiddo, Atticus. I'll buy every single one. Our family has prayed and continues to pray for yours. So many people are cheering you on....I am one of them.
Much love from Missoula, MT
I think its beautiful how you share your heart and story with everyone, even us strangers. You have given me such an insight into dipg , as someone i love just died of it as well and i have been unable to see her while she was sick .you are the kind of person that you dont see often, a true example of a good genuine person. I will always continue to pray for you and your beautiful sweet family and always remember Atticus.God bless
Just wanted to let you know we are grieving for you and Eric. Ryan and I can't get through your posts without bawling, and the pain we feel must be small compared with your own. I know that Christ is the one that truly understands your pain and will ultimately be your source of comfort. In the meantime know that we love all of you and will keep you in our prayers.
Kirsten
Love you. So proud of you. I'm inspired by you. I think of you so often. We are praying for you and your family. Even Sienna, my 5 year old prays for you still! You are absolutly right... You can do this. So proud of you for making it through your first day of your new life. One day at a time. One hour at a time. Isaac is a dream baby and so special. So grateful you have him. Little by little you will find peace. It may be so small you don't notice for some time... but it WILL come.
You are loved.
xoxoxoxo
Ang
Read this Elder Holland quote this weekend and thought of you...
“If for a while the harder you try, the harder it gets, take heart. So it has been with the best people who ever lived."
Take heart Cindy - you're one of the best! Love you!
Cindy...you are so brave. It's obvious you are your son's mother. I always feel to comment after reading your posts. I really never know what to say. I just read your words, cry, then read more, then cry, then think of you and pray for you often. I have not forgotten or ever will forget about Atticus and all he taught me about fighting through hard things. You continue to teach me now as you fight through this. I love you.
Cindy, you are so sweet. I have followed your blog for the past several months and I am seriously amazed at how strong you are. I cannot say I know how you feel, but I want you to know that you are amazing and I hope I can be half the mother to my boys as you seem to have been to your boys. I want you to know that I think about you all the time and I hope you can continue to do whatever you need to do to make it through each day. Much love,
Emily (Whitney) Nestman
I want to thank you for the amazing person you are. There is no doubt in anyones mind how much Atticus was loved by you and your cute family. The only thing I can say is how sorry I am. We were in your shoes three years ago and I have that knot in my stomach every time I think about what you are going through. Keep taking one hour at a time and do what you have to do to make it through the day, even if the people around you dont agree with it. I hope you know how much your family is loved and I have no doubt in my mind that you have the faith to live in this new chapter in your life. Thank you for sharing Atticus with all of us, he truly is amazing.
I have never met you, however I grieve with you as a mother. We got our angels for atticus bracelts in the mail the other day and we were so excited. My kids fight over who can wear them. We have been following you story for a while and we will continue to check in with your sweet family. Thank you for sharing Atticus with us. Our lives are forever touched.
The Spencer Family (Portland, OR)
Thank you for putting into words, my feelings, in regard to going to church, while you are in mourning!! You realized you have a testimony and all that implies, you realize you want the spiritual nourishment...but you DON'T WANT the stares, the "INTELLECTUALLY ACCURATE" cliches' , being on display....etc. Yet, the fear that eventually, down the road, that people will grow impatient with your grief uncomfortable with the length of it. You don't want or need the "Pollyanna" attitudes, or the dismissive cliches'. Even though the grief will always and forever be there...YOU DON'T HAVE THE STRENGTH TO DO THE ACADEMY AWARD PERFORMANCE THAT CHURCH REQUIRES. I get it, and I THANK YOU FOR PUTTING WORDS TO IT!!
Post a Comment