It was very important for me to get Atticus' room just right. He was so blessed and loved and received so many wonderful things: letters, posters, cars, pictures, BYU gear, paintings, books... the list could go on for a good long while ;). I had a hard time choosing what one's were my favorites. Which ones meant the most to Atticus and reflected him best. And which ones would bring me the most happiness and peace when I saw them. I think, after much deliberation, organizing and placing, then organizing and placing again, we got it just right. You can't help but walk in his room and be happy. There is a very special feeling in his room and I LOVE it. Like love love love it.
This is the view from the hall. Isn't it perfect? I get to see it every time we leave or come home. Every time I go to change the laundry, or get "Captain Distruct-o" out of the bathroom, pulling the toilet paper off the roll, again!! It makes me happy.
I framed and hung Atticus' and our favorite pieces of artwork and crafts. Well I didn't hang them. Lance did!! Thanks Lance! We also had the framed pictures on display at the viewing and service.
Framed artwork: left to right, top to bottom
1. My favorite art portfolio piece
2. Atticus' favorite art portfolio piece
3. Atticus' first drawing of "people"
4. Atticus' favorite flower
5. My favorite craft from his first year of preschool. Really cute story behind it: The kids were "planting gardens" and Mrs. Gavaghan told them to crumple up the tissue in small little balls to "plant in the dirt." She noticed that all the kids were quickly finishing up and starting to play except for Atticus. He was very dedicated and focused on doing exactly what she said and was getting the tissue paper in as tight little balls as he possibly could. She said it was really sweet, then thought, "Bless his heart, at this rate, he'll never get to done!" So she asked if she could help him and he, "supposed it was okay!" That's my boy! Everything was done to his perfection!! Man I love him.
6. Atticus' first preschool "report card." He was one smart cookie! I remember telling everyone when I was pregnant with Atticus that I hoped he would have Daddy's brain and Mommy's heart! Atticus was a perfect little man. An old soul in a darn cute little body!
I have little nightly routine that I do almost every night.. I turn on his little lamp and kiss one of my favorite pictures and say, "I love you sweet boy!" Now, don't go thinking I've gone crazy, I realize he's not there! But sometime I just need something tangible to give me a boost.
I love that I have so many handprint and footprints of him.
I loooooove this...
This shelf has all of his favorite things...
-CARS cars... check
-Hot Wheels tracks... check
-BYU gear... check
-Favorite books/games... check
-Baseball gear and trophy's... check
The sweet hand print (top shelf, right corner) was done the Saturday before he passed away. A volunteer w/hospice came to the house and did it. His little hand print is in THE PERFECT position. There is just enough room for me to squeeze a finger in there! Lets just say I held that little hand and cried my eyes out lots and still do. It took me just a minute or two to realize how special that little hand mold is... it's his LEFT hand. He sucked his LEFT thumb. Realizing that made me love it that much more.
I LOVE his 'CARS' shelf. I cannot tell you how many HOURS we spent playing cars. A few months before diagnosis, his love for cars expanded to not just 'CARS' cars but Hot Wheels too! In fact, the long Hot Wheels 4-track was probably his favorite toy from his 4th birthday.
His paintings. I can't remember if it was the night of the day we had our zoo adventure or the night after, but as we were getting ready for bed he said, "Mom, wouldn't it be cool if a lion painted me a picture? I have a picture from a sea lion and an elephant... He could just use his tail for a paint brush!" I told him that was a GREAT idea and I'd see what I could do but it might be a little tricky since their, ya know, kinda ferocious!!
SO... should anyone come across a friendly lion who happens to enjoy painting, ask him if he'll paint a picture for Atticus!!
Today is all happy thoughts about my sweet brave little soul. He truly was a remarkable little boy. So full of life. So full of energy. So full of love. One of a kind. I'm pretty lucky to be his mom.SO... should anyone come across a friendly lion who happens to enjoy painting, ask him if he'll paint a picture for Atticus!!
I love you buddy!
xoxo, mom




20 comments:
His room is incredible Cindy! It is clear to see that it was put together with so much love by you and your family and that he was and is such a LOVED boy! WE love you guys! xoxoxox. Thanks for posting!
That looks so beautiful! You did a wonderful job with everything. What a happy space.
Beautiful Post Cindy. Glad that Atticus' room is just the way you...and HE would want it too. May the Lord continue to bless and watch over you, Eric, and Isaac. Every time I eat a goldfish now, I think of Atticus reaching in my bag at Church for them. It's a great memory.
Love you
Jim
You are so so brave. Love you guys!
Its clear to see how much you love your little boy! He is a hero! An example of what every one of us, kids and adults should be! Even thou Atticus had a short life, his life made an impact to last lifetimes!!! I love his room:)
Love it! There is such a sweet spirit in his room and I agree that you can't help but feel happy when you go in side. I was smiling when I saw it even though there were tears in my eyes! Love you! PS happy belated bday Eric!
His room is quite possibly the happiest place on earth. I agree, you look in the room and can't help but smile. I LOVE what you did with it. The way you displayed his favorite things. The art work, pictures and toys. The posters and signs. Love EVERYTHING. My favorite is the uniforms and shelf. It took my breath away the first time I saw it. It's BEAUTIFUL and so perfectly him. The shoes, the socks rolled up in them. The uniforms and pictures. It's amazing. You are amazing. Love love love you all.
Thank you, Cindy!
WOW! I can tell that you put so much thought into his room. It looks so good and just right!
You did an AMAZING job on his room. What a little sanctuary for you. It is so beautiful. What a great idea.
You did a fabulous job on his room! You should consider interior design! Isaac is so dang adorable! Im so glad yourdays are getting better. Atticus wants you to be happy. Your family continues to be in our thoughts and prayers. Im so grateful you have blogged your experience, it has helped me and inspired me and strengthened my testimony. Thank you
His room is so amazing! What a perfect place for peace. I loved looking thru all his treasures. What a blessed Momma you are.
Ohhh it's just perfect, Cindy! It looks amazing! Seeing all of his things just made me cry. He left such precious things behind for you to forever cherish. The artwork is truly a gift - along with the darling handprint art, his uniform, the hand mold!... I'm so happy that it makes you happy - that's exactly what Atti would want! I just got your package in the mail. Thank you SO much! We're so grateful to have those and I'm eager to watch them!
Love you guys! xoxo
perfect.... just perfect. (also just as a random side note, the random word i had to type to "prove im not a robot" was "rtakeep." which to me means, keep reading this blog, keep praying for the hansen family, keep cheering them on, and you just remember to keep on keeping on!)
Fabulous! Looks amazing. And I love your nightly routine... I am sure Atticus waits for that every night too. Love you guys. :)
Its perfection.
I have just been following your blog that I found off a friends. I have to say you really are the cutest mom ever. You inspire me to be a better mom to my own.
There really are so many others in your same position that could use you as support!
Your wonderful and are doing such a great job at being Atticus's mom!
Thank you!
This post makes my heart happy. I'm so glad you have a special place where you can remember Atticus, and all the things that made him happy. I'm sure it is a sacred room. I'm sure he still comes to play there sometimes.
Cindy, you are such an amazing and beautiful mom. Atticus' room is fantastic! Thanks for sharing. Atticus chose one tough woman to be his mother!
I love his room-it's awesome just like him. We love Atticus!
Post a Comment