Locke Lord (Eric's firm) provided our "Dallas Zoo Adventure!" Karen gave us a backstage tour starting with the Penguins... Don M. Glendenning, Managing Partner, paid for the Penguin exhibit!!
Attius had a rough start and didn't want to go. I knew he would have fun, he just needed to warm up. Thankfully, once we met a cute littlel Penguin and got to pet her, her perked up.
We learned some pretty cool stuff about them... like, one of the reasons the exhibit has so many fans going is not just to keep them cool but to also keep the mosquitos away!!
Eric is such a good dad! He is gentle tender and patient with Atticus. I love watching them interact together.
Meet Jenny the Elephant!
OK... Seriously, this was AMAZING and Atticus was in HEAVEN!! He had SO much fun. They let him feed her (toss food her direction, you cannot cross the yellow line) and he loved it. Jenny's trainer would let him grab an apple pear or carrot from her pail and let him toss it to her. After a few tosses she put the bucket aside. Atticus whispered in my ear, "Mom, ask her if I can feed Jenny some more!" So she gave him the whole bucket!! Then he later whispered, "Mom, aske her how elephants sleep!" He was loving this!
He tossed Jenny the entire bucket full and if the food tossed in front of her, but she found the food anyway, he would cheer her on, "Good job Jenny! You found it!"
Jenny's trainer (Im sorry I can't remember your name) asked Atticus if he wanted to see her do a special trick. He of course said yes. So, they got out the paints and Jenny the elephant became an artist!
Atticus thought it was AWESOME and laughed and laughed. Jenny got a big crazy with her art work! Atticus whispered in my ear, "Mom, ask her if I can keep the painting!" He of course did!! It will go right next the Elrod's painting! It's not every day you get a painting done by a Sea Lion AND an Elephant!
THIS is how we roll.....
Karen was the sweetest thing and so patient as we stopped to change Atticus' medications 3 different times. She really was incredible. We are so grateful for her time an thoughtful planning!
Cute Isaac was more interested in trying to get the cupboards open and couldn't care less about the snake.
I however, think it is a VERY big deal, but I promised him I would be brave.
Why do we mother's do that? Promise stupid crazy things...?!
Why do we mother's do that? Promise stupid crazy things...?!
If you look closely, you can see a little smirk on his face! He felt so cool/brave with this snake in his hands!
I don't know why I love this one, but I do! He has absolutely NO FEAR.
Chunk trying to wiggle his way out of Pop Pop's arms to squeeze the life out of that poor little opossoum!
Karen had set up for Atticus and a parent to ride on a camel but Atticus wasn't feel up to it and was ready to go home.
Im pretty sure Isaac is the happiest baby in the world. He is a true blessing.
I miss him. I know that right now, my focus needs to be on Atticus, but its hard. Hard finding the right balance between the boys. Atticus requires so much attention, not in a bad way, Im happy to care for him. More than happy. Honored. It's just with medications, his inability to move on his own, and just plain not feeling well, he really just wants to cuddle all day long and gets pretty emotional if Im not close by. Hence, the "I miss Isaace" business. I wish I had more energy so that when Atticus naps I could focus on Isaac. I try, but Im just so dang tired I end of falling asleep with Atticus. On one hand Im grateful Isaac is so little with all this happening, so the chance of him being scarred for life is less, but on the other hand, I hate that he is so little because he won't have any memories of his older brother, aside from pictures or course. Lifes tricky and complicated, but we're doing it. One step at a time. The moments I get with Isaac I love. I love him. I love how happy he is. That no matter how sad I am about loosing my first son, looking at my second son brings a tender happiness to my heart and a sense of, "Im going to be ok." Not a day goes by that I don't thank Heavenly Father for my Isaac. For his "go-with-the-flow" attitude. He sweet face. His chubby feet that are carrying him all over the place now. His snuggle bug hugs and loves. I know that Heavenly Father sent me and Eric Isaac so that we wouldn't give up. And we won't. I will be the best dang mom possible for him, like I have tried and am continuing to try to be for Atticus.. Sorry, that was kind of a mouth full!
So, back to the "Zoo Adventure" It was AWESOME! Thank you Dallas Zoo. Thank Don Glendenning. Atticus was very excited to put another check on our Adventure poster!
























17 comments:
What a cool adventure! We love zoos, and I'm just a bit jealous you guys got to meet so many animals up close and personal! Your face in the snake picture is hilarious, by the way - I love how Atticus was proud of you for being brave. Haha!
That is one awesome trip to the zoo. Holy cow!!!!! I love it. I can't believe how easy going and chill he is about SNAKES!!!!! i love the look on your face when you're touching the snake. love it. I love all the pictures. Love all the animals you got to see and fee and touch. Oh my this was awesome!!!!!!!! What a great day at the zoo! xoxo
I love the Hansen Family Adventures!
You are a beautiful writer, and your words always bring me to tears. The love you have for your sons and husband overflows. I wish i could make Atticus better:-(. A stranger mom thats a friend. God bless you all.
What a great experience. I LOVE elephants and have NEVER been that close to one. What a fun day for you all.
Cindy, cut yourself some slack about Issac. You are an amazing mother. You put us all to shame. You are doing so much and have so much on your shoulders. You are doing the best you can and that's all that is expected. Issac is lucky to have this time with so much family around to love on him. You are doing an amazing job. Please be forgiving of yourself.
My kids would go days without seeing me when Rob was in the hospital and watched way too much TV when we were just struggling to get by. They are fine and it hasn't effected them. Issac will be fine. You are doing a great job.
Thank you keeping up on your activities for all of us. I check everday to see what you have been doing and how Atticus is feeling. I think about all of you several times a day. Love you all!
I think anyone who has ever met you or is getting to know you through this blog will agree...you ARE the best dang mom to both your boys and always will be!
This was an awesome post. Your boys have a very full life...full of fun and full of love.
What an adventure! I LOVE this Atticus week; it's been fun to live through the fun by reading what is posted. Your sweet boy Atticus is one brave 4 year old, there's no doubt about that. Thank you for sharing your thoughts, your moments and your tears. We love you and like forever and always our prayers are with you and your family.
Cindy....you inspire me to be a better mother and to cherish each moment that I have with my kids. We do not know what God's plans are but we we are comforted knowing that He knows. Thank you for sharing your heart with us. You and your family are touching so many lives. Prayers and hugs from friends in Wyoming.
No Snakes stick with Ginny pigs! HAHA what a brave boy and mommy. you ars such an amazing truthful person Cindy. Just inspirational!
Let me just start of by saying that you are one AMAZING woman! The love you have for your family is just awesome and you inspire me to be a better mom. I always cry every time I read your blog and see your sweet Atticus. I can only imagine how you must feel going through this rough time. I pray for God to give you all the strength, grace and comfort you need!
Hugs from Maryland
Cindy,
you have a wonderful family and it looks like you had a blast at the Zoo. He is just the cutest boy ever!!! I know you think that Issac may not remember him but he will. My daughter was only 6 months old when my James pasted away he was only 3 1/2. She would point to his pictures until she could talk and once she could she would call him Bubba (his nick name)anytime she talked about him. She loves when I tell her that something she is playing with was his Every year since he pasted on the anniversary of his passing and on his birthday we release ballons and send them up to him. I know in my heart she remembers him. Prayers from NY for a miracle for your big guy!
Teresa Bentivenga
jamesgabbymom@optonline.net
That picture of you with the snake was priceless. SOOOOo glad someone captured that! hahaha!
Your story and family have truly touched my life. I have followed your story from the beginning and I feel like I know your family and especially sweet Atticus. I have laughed and cried along with you guys. You are such an amazing mother with so much love,strenth and faith. Prayers and confort to Atticus and your family.
Erica
Love it!!! I love the picture of your face with Atti and the snake. I'm pretty sure I might have had to leave the room. Love ya tons.
Cindi, my heart is broken. April Pond told me to read your blog. I honestly can't express how sorry I am that you have to experience the worst thing imaginable. I could only bring myself to read your first and last post. I guess I am weak! I couldn't bring myself to read the whole blog. My oldest daughter just turned four and that put your situation in perspective for me. I am truly heart-broken for you! I don't mean to be Debbie Downer by restating how sorry I am, but no one should have to experience this! You are so strong! Thank goodness for the gospel. Knowing what we know about life after death helps take a tiny chip off the devastation. Along with everyone else, I will pray for comfort for Atticus and strength for you and your family.
-Shantel Badger
You with the snake = PRICELESS. As well as the entire trip.
Cindy, I am just sitting here, looking back through your blog smiling and laughing and crying. Now that Atti is free of his wheelchair, free of his meds, and free of his stupid stupid cancer, his pictures bring peace. Your family has changed my heart forever and I am so grateful for that.
You know, I'll have you know, I held it together pretty well reading through here (even through Eric's entry, which says something) but what got me this time were your words about your sweet Isaac. The Lord really knew what he was doing when he sent that sweet baby to you at this exact time. (And it doesn't hurt that he is one of the best-looking kids I have ever seen!) You guys take care and keep hangin' on <3
Post a Comment