Thursday, April 5, 2012

Update on Atticus

We saw the Oncologist Monday April 2nd.

They were really please with his neurological exam and muscle strength but concerned about his frequent head and eye aches, irregular pupil dilation, and "spastic" (my word, not there's) reflexes on his right side. They are all signs of pressure on the nerves. He is now up to 1.5 ml Decodron. And may just have to stay on them. It seems like every time we decrease it he is ok for a day or two but then the headaches come back. 

He's not a big med guy but when he gets the head and eye aches I always ask him if it hurts enough that he wants Tylenol. Lately he has been saying yes. Monday morning he cried it was hurting so bad. Tylenol didn't cut it and we ended up having to give him Lortab. I hate this part. Him being uncomfortable or in pain. 

He is scheduled for an MRI Monday April 9th at 10am. We check in at 8am. The MRI takes about 45 minutes the his appointment with the Oncology team at 1pm. They put a stat verbal read on the tumor results so we should know right away. Obviously the hope is that is has shrunk significantly but even a little would be good. 

The size of the tumor will determine whether we take path A or path B. If it has responded to the Radiation and Temodar (Chemotherapy) then we will do Temodar again. At 160 mg. The first round was at 60 mg so we are more than doubling his dose. It will be given the same way: made by us and given on an empty stomach in applesauce. He will take it for 5 days then have a 23 day break making it a 28 day cycle. 7-10 days after his 5th dose of Temodar his blood counts will drop. We will do that cycle 10 times. So basically for ten months. How his body responds the drop his blood count is unknown. Some kids do fine. Some kids find themselves in the ER every month due to fever. I'm staying optimistic. He handled the first round really well. In fact we thought he was totally symptom free until the last few weeks on his first round he told me, "Mom, sometimes I get throw up in my mouth at night!" We had no idea it made him nauseated. He never did throw up. So, if the tumor has responded, even the littlest bit, we will start Temodar and a seizure medication that night.

If the tumor has not responded or grown then we start option B which in all honesty, I don't really know what it is. And neither do the doctor's. I think it's a lot of experimental stuff which will require big discussions between Eric and I. They hit the tumor with the best first, Temodar, so if that doesn't work your kinda out of luck. Our biggest thing is pain and comfort. If Atticus is in any sort of pain or discomfort we'll stop or won't do it.

So Monday will be a big day for us. I'm really anxious. Just to clarify... the reading and size of the tumor does not indicate the growth of the tumor, just whether or not the Temodar in conjunction with the radiation effected it in any way. In some kids it shrinks a ton. Some, the tumor grows even with the Rad/chemo. 

On a positive note, he is doing really well. Aside from the "steroid" look and head/eye aches he is doing AMAZINGLY well. He is Atticus, a little more spoiled... ok a lot more spoiled, but aside from those things he is the same Atticus. Still keeps us laughing. Still stubborn. Still loves his sports and cars. Still too smart for his own good. He is so wise beyond his years. We often forget he's only 4. He is a MIRACLE. He is truly living proof miracles can and DO happen. We prayed he could walk on his own again... he can. We prayed he could run again... he can. We prayed he could play sports again... he's hitting baseballs over the fence. He's eating on his own, running up and down the stairs, balancing like an acrobat. He is a miracle. We have been given a miracle. I am humbled and so incredibly grateful.



Atticus the Superhero. 


He is accessed getting blood drawn for labs.


Shaking the blood tube for cute nurse Amanda.


Administering the Heprin
 

Despite the cancer, Atticus has grown not in a "I have cancer so I and forced into a mature life" but a, "I'm a 4 year old boy who thinks gross things are awesome, kisses are gross, and being wild loud and crazy is WAY more fun than being calm." He's growing up and I hate it ;). Where did my four year old go? I love you buddy. Even if you wipe my kisses away! I love you more than you will ever ever know. xoxoxo T&F (tons and forever)
Posted by Picasa

9 comments:

Allie said...

thanks for all the wonderful and insightful updates...we think of you each and every day and admire your optimism. And your grace. :)

Lisa said...

It helps if you making a running list of questions for the doctors throughout the week. So when you do go, you don't walk away feeling like you forgot something. As a nurse, my first instinct is to investigate, if you guys go Plan A, and do the chemo....if he does get a fever...is there anyway to avoid the ER? I would ask the doc that. So you can avoid exposing him to more stuff/germs.

This stranger is always checking on you...and whispering your names to God's ears. You're doing and AMAZING job!!

kim edvarchuk said...

Your little boy is so brave. He handles needs and things way better than I ever would. You don't know me but I am praying for your sweet boy and your family. I pray for a miracle, I pray for peace and strength, and I pray for time. What a neat family you all are. I pray for you, smile at Atticus's fun personality, and cry with you over your heartaches. May the Lord continue to bless you all.

Love from a stranger.

Jared & Shannon said...

I have commented a couple of times and I hope you don't mind I am a complete stranger. I have been following your blog since the diagnosis. It is amazing how optimistic and humble you are with everything you have to go through. I love reading about Atticus and how brave he is and just the day to day happenings in his life. You are all amazing examples and I think of your family often, pray for you, and cry for you. I will continue to pray for good news for his upcoming test results. Thanks for sharing your story.

Anonymous said...

I too am a stranger and hope u dont mind my commenting as i do often. Atticus is the cutest boy ever and i mean it when i say he is put here for a reason and has many long years ahead of him. He is a miracle and i want to see updates of him and your beyond ama ing family for the next 10 or 20 years:) you are all always in our prayers!

Michelle said...

He looks so good, Cindy! I just love his little face, and I'm so glad he's getting a little spoiled :). He deserves it. Loved reading about all your adventures!!!

jq said...

We love you all so incredibly much! You are constantly in our prayers and thoughts. We hope all goes well at your appointment on Monday. Atticus is amazing! We love him so very much. He is such a trooper and still hilarious through it all. We'll pray for his comfort and lots of continued fun adventures. Thanks for the update! xoxoxo

Anonymous said...

Prayers continuing to go out to you and your family!!

Angie said...

Yay for Disneyworld. So so fun. I am so happy you had such a great trip. Atticus is one darling, special kid. I love all the VIP treatment he is having. We think of you often and are still praying for you guys. Leah was so so happy to spend some time with you tonight. Crossing our fingers for good news tomorrow. Love ya!!!