Sunday, April 29, 2012

From bad to good...

That about some's it up. 


Atticus got a special package in the mail... An original painting from "Elrod"  the Sea Lion! Elrod painted the canvas just for Atticus using a paint brush specially designed for a sea lion to hold in his mouth!


Along with the painting came a certificate certifying that it is one-of-a-kind. The certificate states, "Elrod is the most experience sea lion "painter" here at SeaWorld San Antonio, because he uses broad strokes and even twists and turns his head to move the brush across the canvas for better technique."

He also got a cool otter towel, coloring book, and book about "Oopsie the Otter!"
Atticus though it was hilarious that Elrod held the brush in his mouth!


So I was thinking to myself, "My life is not crazy enough! I need to add something in to the mix.... Hey! Why not have our hardwood floors demo'd and re-done! That sounds super fun!!"

Obviously, I was joking (about the wanting to re-do our hardwood floors) but I am not however, joking about them getting re-done. From the time we moved in (we built the house and moved in June 2011) we have had really squeaky floors. They guy had come out twice to fix a few spots and the 3rd time said, "They really shouldn't be this squeaky. My supervisor needs to come out." So he did. And long story short, when our floors were installed they had the pressure on the nail gun too high and it drove the nail through the tongue of the wood. So our ENTIRE hardwood floor (almost the entire downstairs) has to be completely demo'd and re-done. No joke. The good news is it's not costing us anything and they are going to change the finish of the floors for basically nothing- we got the smooth finish because that's what we could afford, but we really wanted the soft hand scrape finish! Well, now we get it! Yahoo!! The wood has been here for about 2 weeks to "acclimate" and they will start the demo May 16th. They said we could stay in the house the first couple of days but only to sleep at night,  it would be way too loud and messy during the day. But after that, we have to be completely out of the house for 4-5 days. Thankfully they paying to have movers come and move our furniture (good thing we don't have very much!!) and  are paying for our hotel, well we are but they are reimbursing us. So... who wants Me, Atticus and Chunk for  for 2 entire days.....? In case you were wondering, our kitchen able is in the office- 


As mentioned in my last post, the start of this week was pretty hard for me. My husband came home with a beautiful bouquet (far left) on Wednesday. Thursday,  my sweet friend Tori brought me flowers (far right), and on Friday, I got the middle bouquet sent to me by my sweet mom and sisters. I am SO grateful for the many people who are always there to lift me up and brighten my week.


It is very humbling to be on the receiving end of service. A lot of service. A lot of the time. It is humbling yet appreciated so very very much. It has been an emotional week for me and my family. As soon as   family and sweet friends heard I was struggling, support came full swing. First came the flowers, then an envelope containing "coupons" the I have to use (date night, free babysitting...)! Then came "meals in a box." Four pre-made frozen meal that I can use whenever (and yes I used one this week). Then dinner came Friday night. People tell me that Im doing an amazing job.... but its because I have ALL OF YOU! I am the one that is blessed to have so many incredible people lift me up and keep me there. THANK YOU!

I was listening to the radio the other day (94.9) when a song came on that sang, "What if trials in your life are mercies in disguise." It brought me to tears. Atticus' trial is bringing us so many "Mercies in disguise."

I know that thank you isn't enough but hopefully, it's a start! xoxoxo

Friday April 27th
Cosmo went from caterpillar to beautiful butterfly. Cosmo made his butterfly change while at preschool, but Atticus wasn't feeling up to going, so Mrs. Cherry, after a long day at work, came to us so that Atticus could set him free! 
Oh! And Cosmo is a girl!!


She would dip a cotton ball in sugar water and the butterfly would stay on it.


Pretty cool huh?!
 


Atticus was really excited to have Cosmo walk on his finger.


Daisy Dog... Mrs. Cherry's right hand gal! My boys love Daisy.
 

Random things Atticus has said over the last little bit that I don't think I've journaled...


1. "Boy! I love holding snakes." (He said that totally out of the blue)
2. While at universal studios, Atticus told Pop Pop (Eric's dad) to scream like a little girl!"
3. He determines how fast a racer is by spinning their wheels
4. On his last day of radiation he said, "Goodbye doctors, I love you."
5. Today in the car we were rockin' out to "Life is a Highway" when he said, "Mom sometimes when I want my neck to dance, I do this.... (nodded his head up and down)!



Saturday April 28th

We are pleased to introduce our newest family member. Elrod the beta fish!

Friday night I had to be the bad guy. It had to happen. Whether Atticus wanted a dog a snake a bird a lizard or a cockroach, I just couldn't do it; and I had to break the news to him. Even having a fish is a big step for me. But I have to admit, Elrod's pretty cool and awesome BYU blue (I'm actually a bit surprised he wasn't named Cosmo). Atticus is really excited about him and really really really wishes Elrod ate more than once a day :) Elrod was mentioned in tonight's bedtime prayer!!

 
Atticus loves Elrod and has said multiple times, "Hey Mom and Dad? Want to go say hi to Elrod?!"

Atticus the SCOUT!

We had a special visitor Saturday afternoon! A visitor that came with one heck of a gift. He gets to be an official scout with troop #80 and even has an official uniform with badges he earned while in Oklahoma. AND he and Eric get to go on a camp out May 18th!! He was SOOO excited.
Trying on his hat!
 

Of the entire get-up, he was most excited about his official "Scout Book!"
 

This is such and Atticus face, excited but embarrassed at all the attention.
 

Anxious to check out his Scouting Facts...
Why do I get the feeling we will be reading this tonight at bedtime!!!
 


 
Our new friend Lauren, who helped put Atticus' "Scout Adventure" together! 
I thoroughly enjoyed getting to know you and hope we can get our boys together soon. She has two boys almost the same ages as mine, an instant common ground! It's funny who small the world is and the many connections that connect us together! Thank you! xoxoxo

 


Random pictures that I love....

My sweet friend emailed this one to me. It was in 2010.
I love him SO SO MUCH. My heart just aches.


This was taken in April at the Celebration Station. He just got done driving the race cars! 

Chunkers in his very own seat heading to Sea World!

Two-time Sprint Cup Champion, and co-owner of the Stewart-Haas racing team, Tony Stewart. John Rhodes, husband to Mary Rhodes, who works at New World, Atticus' preschool, was the photographer and mentioned Atticus to him and how much he loves 'racers' when Tony said, "Hang on a second!' and came back with an autographed car for John to give Atticus! Pretty cool huh?!! 

THANK YOU TONY and THANK YOU JOHN!

 

A few people have asked me what Atticus' port looks like and if he still has it. Yes he still has it, he always will. And this is what it looks like, its white because he has "magic cream" on to numb him before getting accessed.

This is what it looks like when he is accessed. When he was accessed during radiation Monday-Friday we would curl the tubing  or "piggy" as we call it, up and tape it.
 

We got GREAT news the other day... 
Do you remember this...

 
 
 Well... It gets to happen again! Atticus gets to join the Longhorns for remainder of the season!! He is like unbelievably excited. There is only about 3 weeks left in the season but we don't' care, we are just super excited. He has talked about it non stop and even said in his bedtime prayer tonight, "And please bless my baseball game, that I can get a home run!" I am so so happy for him. He seriously cannot wait and has been counting down the days.

GO LONGHORNS!


9 comments:

Stamp With Linz said...

Love every word. Love that boy & his family. :) xoxo

Forshee Family said...

I am cheering for Atticus and his Longhorns!!! Homerun!!!!

Rosie said...

I love reading every update. Sure hope your family can sleep well! And that you can find somewhere fun to go for 2 days... you can always take our couch here in Boise! Just throwin' that out there. ;) I love that picture on the swings. Thanks for that! And thanks also for the shout out in your Disney world post, I'm so glad the stroller thing worked well! Thinking of you each and every day. Hope this is a great week!

Chris and Michelle said...

Elrod the Sea Lion, Elrod the Fish, Cosmo the butterfly...Atti sure has lots of friends in all forms cheering him on! Sooo cute. I love it. :)
That is so exciting he gets to finish out his season as a Longhorn! I sure wish we could be at those three games!!!
Praying for you to have a wonderful week. xoxo

1tiredmama said...

You can always come hang at our house :-)!! Go longhorns!!!

J.C. & Tiana said...

You should totally come to New York. I would show you guys a good time. Also Millie is missing her Chunkers. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE that Atti gets to go play with his Longhorns. That just makes my heart happy to know he is doing something he loves soooo much. I can't wait to hear how the game goes tonight.

it's me, andrea. said...

What a great picture of you two on the swing. That boy loves his mama!

Anonymous said...

So glad your days made a change for the better! You guys SURE deserved it! We are so excited for Atti to get to play with his team. He's hit a homer before, so anything is possible with that cute kid! We are very jealous of your painting from Elrod the sea lion! That is pretty stinking cool! The boys are sending a little something for Elrod the fish...they think he is really awesome! Love you guys (as Jay would say) ten billion much!!!

Puhlman said...

You don't know me. I happened upon your blog through a friend of a friend of a friend..or something like that. Well I just think you are a beautiful mother. Everytime I come to a picture of you I stop and just stare. You are angelic. A true LDS woman...I know I would know that if I were in your presence. I pray for you. I watched a video today and instantly thought of you....and I just sat there crying...imaging what it must be like. Here is the link...I hope it works.

Love always...from one mother to the next.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=wy41VCbdt0I