Thursday, January 26, 2012

Radiation Day 2 and Day 3

RADIATION DAY 2 Yesterday (Wednesday Jan 25th) went much much better than Tuesday. I know it was due to everyones prayers. And we can't thank you enough. First things first... HE SLEPT!!! It was with me and Eric, but who cares. He actually slept. Not perfect, but pretty darn good. It was a much much needed nights rest. Sleep is a beautiful thing. He was not too happy about having to wait to eat breakfast but, fingers crossed he will get use to that soon. Waiting his turn to go back! When it was his turn, Eric took him to the radiation room. Atticus said, "Im not afraid of that!" referring to the big radiation machine, and two seconds later was out. While he was getting his treatment I made a ton of phone calls, insurance- both medical and auto, hospital billing, made appointments, canceled appointments... you get the idea. It was a really productive 35 minutes. They came and got us to be with Atticus and thank heaven it wasn't nearly as bad as yesterday. He was still feisty but not out of control. He did NOT want to lay down on the bed, so he was sitting up 99.99% asleep with Eric and I taking turns supporting his head. In approximately two weeks the radiation will start affecting his skin; looking similar to a sun burn, so they gave me cream to use. The radiation goes in from angles so he will have a few "burn" locations on his head and his ears. Hopefully not too much on his face. After he was awake enough to leave, we went upstairs to see the Oncologist team. We met with Dr. Goldman- also amazing, he was the on-call Dr. I talked to Tuesday night. He gave Atticus a thorough check.. As, mentioned yesterday, Atticus' vision went downhill as well as his mouth function. He can no longer pucker his lips. So when he tries to suck through a straw, the liquid comes out on the right side. Anyway, Dr. G. checked out his eyes, reflexes, yada yada. Their concern is that there may be too much swelling in his brain and may need to have surgery to put a shunt in (basically a straw in his head). They don't feel like he needs it now, but it is something we need to keep a close watch on. Dr. Goldman spoke with the other Oncologist and decided that we need to go back to the higher dose of Decodron, that with Atticus' symptoms coming back so quickly with only one dose being lowered, it's clear he's not ready. So he now takes, 2 mg twice a day and 1 mg once a day. I packed him a lunch to eat while at the doctors, but he refused to eat it, then I finally put two and two together. For some reason Atticus got it stuck in is head that he can't eat at the doctor's. So I told him a little white lie, that I "had to use the bathroom", but really went and asked the nurse if she could let him know that it's ok to eat at the office and that it would help his tummy feel better. It worked. He started eating and it made a HUGE difference in our entire day. The day went soooooo much better than Tuesday. He still complained about his vision in his right eye and can't pucker his lips but he was the happiest he's been since diagnosis. It was so so nice! It gave Eric and I hope. Hope that we will get him back for a period of time. It was such a blessing. Such an amazing day. Proof of our HaPpY hApPy DaY... Thank you to everyone he prayed for sleep. Thank you to everyone who prayed for us to have a better day. Thank you to everyone who prayed to give Eric and I strength. I cannot express how much it means to me. Last night was his first Chemo treatment. Can I just say how much I love my husband. I love him. Like, love love love. He has been so good to keep me in check but more importantly keep me laughing. He took the seriousness of preparing Atticus' Chemotherapy and threw it out the window, we were laughing at each other and had one of those, "If we have to be in this crappy situation, we wouldn't choose anyone else but each other." We prepared the chemo exactly as instructed, and mixed it with applesauce. We had to wake him (it was 10pm, it has to b given on an empty stomach... obviously we need to do some med. rescheduling), he did awesome. We didn't tell him is was medicine, but told him that Dr. Lenarsky wants him to eat applesauce every night to stay healthy. After the first few bites he said, "This applesauce is yucky. It tastes like medicine." But that was it. 1 down 41 to go. The "Chemo" station... It was his 2nd day being kept "accessed" and did really really well. He's extra cautious but other than that he's not had any other complaints. He's amazing. Such a good boy. I love him so much. He is a big BIG fan of daddy right now, which of course I love, but am jealous too! Here a some funny/cute things he has done and said lately, * "My tummy say's, "Grrr, Im ready for macaroni and Grrr, I do NOT want toast!" * "Mom, I don't want any of those yummy carrots!" *He picked out my outfit the other day and said I was beautiful. * There is a valentine Christmas tree in the hospital's pharmacy and Atticus told Eric that Santa would say, "ho ho ho! What a beautiful tree!" in his best 'santa' voice! *The other night while bathing him he wanted to make a grocery list, he asked me to get a pen and paper. This is what he wanted on his list... meat, cheese, razor, eggs, bacon and sausage, baby food for Isaac, a few cool shirts, 2 boxes of eggs, 1 pack of tomatoes, spaghetti, and that's it." *"Isaac Hinckley Hansen is a wiggly little boy!" * The nurse asked him if he needed anything, "I probably need my wallet, and keys and some money!" Nothin can keep this kid down! RADIATION DAY 3 This morning went the same as yesterday. Atticus was upset that he couldn't eat but nothing too crazy. We had to wait a long time, the Anethesiologist was running behind, so poor Atticus was more than ready to go back. We met another family today whose daughter was diagnosed with DIPG also. Crazy right? It's so rare, but a 4 year old and 3 year old, get diagnosed within days of each other. After 40 minutes the RN came for Atticus, he wanted daddy to take him back again, I'll be honest, it hurt my heart. Im a baby I know. I just want to be there every step of the way. But I am of course glad he and daddy get time too! I am a "time" hog:). We didn't have to see the onclogist today (last night was the first night I didn't have to call the on-call doctor! I was quite proud of myself). So as soon as he woke up from sedation, which was about the same as yesterday, feisty but not out of control, we got to go home. I wish he would eat right away. I don't know what his deal is with wanting to wait until we get home. But he does. He waits til we get home and by that point he is past the point of recovery so it takes another 15-20 minutes to calm him down and convince him to eat. But after that, we had a great day. Well the boys did. Today was hard for me. I was pretty down today. Atticus is on a big daddy kick, and Im glad, but it hurs, he's been a little mean to me. I know that boys need their daddy's, but mommy's need to be mommy's. I just want to hug and kiss and squeeze him all day long (mabye that's why he likes daddy so much, he doesn't smother him !!). Isaac wanted nothing to do with me either. I feel like since I lost my milk he couldn't care less. So after we got home from the hospital, Isaac wanted Daddy, Atticus wanted Daddy, I went to my room shut the door and cried for two hours. I totally had a pitty party. I feel like Im entilted to one every now and again right? A teary eye mamma with her two cute boys! Another treatent under out belt! We are on our way. Thanks again for everyone's love and support. Im going to try really really hard to pick myself up by my boot straps and put a smile on my face! Update on Chunk... He is seriously the best baby. He difinitely senses the changes going on but is being a trooper. He likes to wave. Is army crawling everywhere, loves to be held (great arm work out), and loves to eat! Still not fan of milk, in any form. He loves chocolate... at least the chocolate boxes! His new "face" Cracks us up every time.

15 comments:

Unknown said...

I don't know you guys, but found your blog yesterday and can't get you off my mind. I am praying so hard for you guys. Your boys are just beautiful. I had two boys, then a girl. The girls are even more attached to dad. That is tough somedays. Anyway, will pray for you all daily.

Angie said...

Cindy,
Yay for a better couple days!! After reading about day 1 radiation, I totally cried and then prayed hard for your family!
I get jealous all them time when my kids want their Dad over me. It just means your a Mama who cares a heck of a lot!
You do a great job of taking care of your family and taking pictures and spending time together. Sometimes a girls just needs a good hard cry. You are an amazing woman. Your hubby's sence of humor reminds me of Zeb. Glad you have eachother!
xoxoxoxo
Lots of love,
Angie

Leah said...

Yay,!!!!!!! So glad the second day was better. .So glad! The picture of your family all on your bed was the best! You look so happy.

Pitty parties are hard but necessary. You are definitely entitled to them. I'm just glad you didnt keep yourself as the only one in attendance for very long. (when I was typing this I accidentally typed potty party...awesome....just glad I caught it,)

I love you. You are amazing. Eric is amazing. And Atticus is an angel on earth. We love you guys more than we can express. Love love love you.

Leah

Janadt.Huggins said...

I check your blog every chance I get. I pray for you pretty much all day long. I will continue to send you text messages and comment on most of your posts, even if I start to sound creepy or repetitive, because I love you. I know it's been a few years since our Waco days, but you are in my heart Cindy. I think you're amazing. Please know I'm on the long and ever growing list of people who love and pray for you and yours.

James and Marianne said...

Cindy, I'm Michelle's step-sister. I have never met you, but I wish that I could give you a hug and cry with you. And I just wanted you to know that I've been praying too. I was so glad to read that Atticus had a better day yesterday. I felt so bad after I read about his first day of radiation. You are an incredible mom. You will be blessed forever for it. I have a prayer in my heart all day for your little man. Hugs!

Anonymous said...

I believe that you have a right to self-pity, fear, anger, and disappointment . . . as well as faith, hope, love, and courage . . . as you support your beautiful boy through this ordeal, Cindy.

Your honesty is inspiring.

m&msmommy said...

Continuing to pray! My son always wants my husband and I get jealous too! :)

You are most certainly entitled to a pity party!!!!!! Feel free to cry as often as you need to...I can't even imagine the strength it takes to endure a trial like this. You are amazing!!!!

Stamp With Linz said...

I love the pictures. Isaac is so pinchable! I love those cheeks!!!

Hang in there friend!

Anonymous said...

Of course you're entitaled to a pitty party! You out of anyone are entitled a pitty party! And how very very hard to have both boys want Dad all the time! Remember your barbie! I loved that he picked that out for you.

It's nice to hear that these tow days went a little better. We think of you guys often and remember you in our prayers.

Keep up the amazing fight Atticus! So many people are cheering you on.

Mercedi said...

I love all these pictures. Especially the one with all of you in bed. You are the most incredible family!

Heidi said...

Hey. I am a psychology student at BYU-Idaho and I have been reading your blog and I wanted to say you are so strong. You will be able to get through this tough time in your life. I know you will. You will never be left alone in this trial. My prayers are always with you and your family.

Brandon, Emily & Sydney Wilson said...

Just want you to know we are continuously thinking of your sweet family and praying for you all. I feel so honored to even be able to read your open and honest step by step thoughts and feelings. Really Cindy... you and Eric and Atticus and your cute little "chunk" (I think that's how you referred to him :), are strengthening all who know you, and many who don't know you,through your faithfulness. Atticus truly is an amazing and good little boy. Glad to hear he slept good and things went better the second time around.
We love you. Thanks for sharing so much. xoxo

Anonymous said...

My goddaughter was diagnoised with dipg this past summer.I pray for your beautiful family to beat this monster of a disease. You are an amazing mom and family!god bless you and your beautiful little boys!

.·:*¨¨*:·.Hep*Hep*Hooray said...

hi! found your blog via my childhood church friend, Kristy Bay. Anyway, your blog is wonderful and I have been praying for you. Your life is unimaginable to me and I can not even try to put myself in your place. You are so strong and you are a wonderful mom. I wish I lived closer so I could help in some way.
Love,
Kristine
ps--my twins have the same birthday as your little atticus...dec 17 (2009)

Brady + Marsha said...

I'm a friend of Michelle's and I just wanted to tell you that you and your little family are in my prayers and thoughts daily. I felt guilty praying that my little guy would sleep through the night knowing that little Atticus hadn't been sleeping well at all. I hope he continues to sleep better and to feel better. And of course you deserve a pity party!