39 weeks and 2 days pregnant!
LOVE this man. That weird thing on my arms it the blood pressure cuff.
LOVE my sisters. They dropped Isaac off to Jocelyn and came straight to the hospital. They both text me every two seconds to see how I was doing. Im pretty sure they thought I was going to deliver in admitting! They were so worried they were going to miss it!
He always takes such good care of me.
This pic was when the contractions were getting a tad bit painful!
Around 9:30am I got the epidural. I like to wait awhile before I get it, I guess since I dont' ever ever ever want to go natural, it gives me a sense of what natural is like, and I actually like feeling the them, until it starts to hurt to the point of unbearable pain. I was dialted to a 7 when I got the epidural.
***
That's when got... tricky. Although I don't remember any of it.
The last thing I remember was saying how tired I felt. Then, lights out.
The last thing I remember was saying how tired I felt. Then, lights out.
This was what my hubby/sisters told me what happened.
"You were dilated to about a 7 when you wanted your epidural. You were having a lot of really intense contractions right on top of each other. They administered the epidural and about 20 minutes later your left side was totally numb, but you could still feel pain on your right side. The anesthesiologist came back in and gave you additional medications through the epidural and had you lay on your right side. It started to kick in and within about 15 minutes, you said you were really tired.
Your blood pressure dropped in half, heart rate down to 52 and you became non responsive. Your nurses tried to get you to wake up and answer basic questions (what is your name, , what is your birthday, do you know where you are). They made a call, and within seconds, 4 additional nurses, 2 doctors and an anesthesiologists were in the room. Jenny, Eric and I were asked to stay out of the way, and they administered 2 doses of ephedra to try and wake you up. They would ask you questions and you would just mumble something or grunt. They asked you to open your eyes and you couldn't. We were all terrified. It took about an hour for you to start to come to and about an hour and a half later
they felt you were stable enough to check and see how dilated you were and, and it was go time. You were completely dilated and effaced."
Stacie said that after the medical team told them I was stable, Eric practically collapsed in a chair. The night we almost lost Atticus in the ER, his heart rate was 46. So as you can imagine, it brought back a lot of very emotional and intense memories for him in addition to the fear he was loosing me.
(This is now me "talking")
After 1 1/2 hours I recognized that I was holding Eric's hand. He asked me to squeeze but I couldn't. He asked me to open my eyes. But I couldn't. I tried. But couldn't. I remember being really confused and bugged about it. Why could I not open my eyes? A little later, he asked me again, and I finally open them. And was in and out for a few seconds or minutes. Really I have no idea.
Then the pain hit. I could feel the contractions on my right side again and I freaked out. Everyone kept telling me that the baby is almost here and that's it's almost time to push, but I just kept panicking and saying, "I can feel it. I dont' want to feel it. I want more epidural." Eric kept telling me that I could do it that I was doing great and even grabbed the baby diaper and said, "Aren't you ready to see your baby girl?" To which I started crying, "I'm too tired. It's hurts. I don't want to feel it."
Eric and my sisters thought I was going to have to have a C-section because I was so out of it and didn't want to push, but after they put a local drug through the epidural, obviously they did not give me more of that... some of the pain wore off and ready or not, it was go time.
The baby was right there and I knew I had to push. Final preparations were made, they got me in "position." Someone asked if I was ready; I looked at Eric with tears in my eyes and said, "No. I'm not ready. I can't do this." Little did they know at the time, that it wasn't the delivery I was talking about. It was my emotional state with the loss of one and the welcoming in of another and I was scared and did not feel ready.
Dr. Griffith, my OB, whom I just love, said, "You can do sweetie. I bet she'll be here after two pushes. She is right there." So the pushing began. After 2 or 3 pushes, He realized she was posterior. So a quick 2 push delivery ended up being about 40 minutes of pushing my guts out then... that sweet baby cry every expectant mother longs to here. SHE came and she's healthy!
I instantly burst in to tears, looked at my husband who was also tears then he kissed my forehead. Obviously, I knew my sisters were there, but once Isabel was delivered I only remember looking at my husband. Watching him watch me and the baby. He kept telling me, "You did it sweet heart. You did so good. You did it." I love that man with all my heart. There is a tender side to him that only the kids and I get to see. It's beautiful and sincere with such deep love and concern for us. He truly is the most incredible man.
I instantly burst in to tears, looked at my husband who was also tears then he kissed my forehead. Obviously, I knew my sisters were there, but once Isabel was delivered I only remember looking at my husband. Watching him watch me and the baby. He kept telling me, "You did it sweet heart. You did so good. You did it." I love that man with all my heart. There is a tender side to him that only the kids and I get to see. It's beautiful and sincere with such deep love and concern for us. He truly is the most incredible man.
This was right after I "woke up."
I guess we should stop expecting normalcy and just expect craziness.
***
After a few short minutes, my sweet baby girl was put on my chest. She was wide eyed and bushy tailed. Not a single tear. She just stared at me, like the gates of heaven were still open, and maybe they were, I like to think they were. I held her. Loved on her. Kissed my husband. And knew we were going to be okay. Not easy but we'd be okay. This sweet baby girl was here with a very important purpose and at that moment she had more knowledge than we ever will. As I look back now, it's like she was telling me, "It's okay mom, although different locations, we are all here. All 5 of us."
No wonder she was fine doing the whole event. It didn't bother her one bit that my body was acting crazy. Atticus had it under control. I truly believe that.
No wonder she was fine doing the whole event. It didn't bother her one bit that my body was acting crazy. Atticus had it under control. I truly believe that.
I love my sisters. They are my very best friends.
Dr. Griffith
Isabel came out looking a lot like Atticus. Same nose and lips. And Although I couldn't see or feel Atticus, I knew he had to be there and maybe still was. And it is my belief that it was Atticus who kept Isabel safe while my body checked out. He took care of her until I could. He was our guardian angel.
I found this poem shortly after Atticus was born in 2007 and was reminded of it when Isabel came. With our family's "situation" it has so much more meaning now than it did in 2007.
Day old child... Author: Carol Lynn Pearson
My day old child in my arms
with my lips against his ear
I whispered strongly "How I wish,
I wish that you could hear,
"I've a hundred wonderful things to say
(A tiny cough and nod)
Hurry, hurry, hurry and grow
so I can tell you about God."
My day old baby's mouth was still
and my words only tickled his ear,
but a kind of light passed through his eyes,
and I saw this thought appear,
"How I wish I had a voice and words,
I've a hundred things to say,
Before I forget... I'd tell you of God,
I left Him yesterday."
with my lips against his ear
I whispered strongly "How I wish,
I wish that you could hear,
"I've a hundred wonderful things to say
(A tiny cough and nod)
Hurry, hurry, hurry and grow
so I can tell you about God."
My day old baby's mouth was still
and my words only tickled his ear,
but a kind of light passed through his eyes,
and I saw this thought appear,
"How I wish I had a voice and words,
I've a hundred things to say,
Before I forget... I'd tell you of God,
I left Him yesterday."
I can't read that without crying. Isabel not only left Heavenly Father but left Atticus. She already knows all about him. She knows more than we do about him. How I wish I could pick her brain.
It wasn't the quick and easy delivery we had anticipated. BUT, we made it. She's healthy and happy and I'm pretty darn good too. So here's to the new chapter in our life. And knowing us, it's gonna be a wild ride...
Pictures, Pictures and more pictures:
(This was the 2nd time seeing Isabel. He said, "Is this my baby sister?" I love how delicate his hands were!)
Obviously Im a little bow happy with this sweet pea.
.. Pictures at home ..
..3 days old..
I LOVE this picture!
She wasn't enjoying the days photo shoot!
..4 days old..
Her first shampoo! And as with all girls, she loved the pampering!
I even got a little post shampoo smile ;)
Her visit with the worlds greatest pediatrician, Dr. Straughn.
Isabel's 4 day old stats...
She's our little peanut.
Weight: 6 lb 12 oz (31%)
Height: 18.5 in (7%)
Head: 33.8 cm (35%)
.. 5 days old...
Mrs. Marti sent me this pic. Isaac didn't want to go to school but had a great day.
Park time with the Qualls boys
Isaac has done GREAT. He sure loves her. We were going up the stairs to get him dressed and he said, "Don't worry Isabel. Big brother will be right back?" He constantly asks, "where's my baby sister?"
She found her thumb! Happened twice that day but not again, although she really really wants to.
Sweet baby and tired mommy.
Such kissy lips!
This is what the first 3 nights at home were like... lots and lots of fussiness and lots and lots of crying. She may have acid reflux. After nursing she stiffens her legs and is super fussy. So after her Pediatrician appt. and learning some new nursing positions, it's getting a little better. But my goodness those first few days home, she.. was.. a.. pill. But she's getting it figured out.
..6 days old..
Isn't my husband handsome!
LOVE this picture!
Fresh and clean hair. Again. That's the problem with newborns and hair, you have to wash it all the time cause you can't help but play with it all day!
He LOOOVES his baby sister.
Isaac looks giant!
..7 days old..
Pretty in pink.
Grandma Becky got here late last night and today is her birthday! Jene was my helper and got flowers and a cake for her! Isaac wanted to sing 'happy birthday' about 15 times!!
He asks to hold her all day. Even when she gets fussy he still wants to hold her. He'll tell her, "It's okay Isabel, big brother Isaac is here!"
I love how tender he is with her!
Drum Roll please....
Isabel's Bedding. I LOOOVE it!
We sure love this sweet little peanut and are so happy she's here!

































16 comments:
I bawled through the whole post. I love it and I love Miss Isabel and everything she represents. I'm dying to meet her!!
Oh goodness I can't get my crying under control! Sweet guardian angel Atticus. He sent his baby sis with lots of love. So precious. She is beautiful. Congratulations
Cindy! That is CRAZY! BUT she is precious beyond words. Congrats my darling friend. Proud of you. Love ya tons.
This is too crazy. I cannot believe what happened to you. What the crap?! I cannot imagine what poor Eric was feeling when you got so sick. Oh my goodness I'm so glad everything is ok. And your line about - "we're all here, just different locations." !!! I love that so much. OMG Cindy Hansen. You are one amazing lady. Can't get over how gorgeous she is and how cute little Isaac is with her. And seriously girlfriend, you are so photogenic and beautiful. You look UH-MAZING in every single photo. Love you tons. XOXO
Congratulations on you baby daughter, she's lovely. I have been following your blog for a while, my son died just before Atticus, he was 3, and after 3 boys I have recently had a baby daughter, she is now 6 months old. She has brought a lot of joy and happiness back into our lives, and although initially I wanted another boy, I think on reflection this has been better as its something new and different that we have never experienced before. I also saw it as a new start, and knew that as a family we would be ok now that she was here. I just spent the whole time in hospital looking at her, and couldn't believe that I could be so happy after everything that has happened, I actually thought that I would never be happy again. Lots of love xxx
She is so adorable. So happy that everything turned out great, despite the rough delivery!
Thank you so much for sharing.
Cindy, she's precious! Congratulations! What a delivery story...my goodness! Glad you all made it through okay!
Whew lots of tears!! The birth story is so crazy! I am so grateful you were okay and wonder if Mr Atticus just had to pull you aside for a little one on one time with his Mama...? Meanwhile how scary for Eric and your sisters!- SO grateful you and Isabel are okay and that she's here safe and beautiful and perfect. We already love her so much!!! xoxo
Oh, she is lovely! I am glad you were fine and you both were alright. Congratulations on the addition to your family (of 5!) Although she gets to share her life with you four here, Atticus met her first. How beautifully precious that is.
Enjoy. I am so happy for Isaac. It looks like he will fit right in to his big brother role perfectly.
Regan (just a friend in Canada that has followed your blog for a long time) :)
Seriously cried my eyes out reading this entire post! So glad mommy and baby are okay! She is absolutely perfect! And looks SO much like her big brother, Atticus :] Issac and Isabel have the most amazing guardian angel.
I can barely look at the picture of your husband comforting you when you woke up. He looks to be near the breaking point! I'm so happy that all turned out well in the end. Isabel is adorable and looks so much like Atticus! Love to you all.
I have read this about 10 times today! Congratulations! I am so happy for you guys. What a beautiful little girl.
Congratulations. Your family is beautiful.
Isabel is sure a doll! Congratulations. Little girls are so much fun!
What a beautiful birth story! Congratulations to you and your wonderful family. Isabel is a gem.
Post a Comment