Friday, July 20, 2012

I want another day

(Eric again)

I want just one more day.  One more day with my sweet boy.  I'd take any day.  Good day, bad day, whatever.  I just want to see him again.  I want to hear his voice.  I want to see his smile.  I want to hear his laugh. I want to tell him I love him.  I want to think about him without the pit in my stomach, without the tears in my eyes, and without the hole in my heart.  I miss him so much.

Losing a child is bad enough, but losing a child to a battle with cancer is unbearable.  Since January, Atticus had become such a huge part of my and Cindy's life.  He was everything.  All the focus was on him.  Whether right or not, my attention was taken off of Cindy, Isaac, and even myself, and focused on Atticus.  He was my life.  Now that he's gone, I have to re-adjust my focus - it has been tough.  It's been easy to put the focus back on Cindy and Isaac, but a bit harder to put myself back together.   I am struggling to find joy in the things that I once loved.

I know the Atonement of Jesus Christ can help me heal, but sometimes, its hard to put on my spiritual eyes and see that.  It's easy to understand how the Atonement allows us to overcome physical death, and that Atti will live again.  But it is so much harder to comprehend that the Atonement can ease the pain I feel when missing my son.  It is a truth that I am desperately trying to learn and apply.

Having said all that, Cindy and I are doing ok.  We definitely have our ups and downs.  I am back to work (even though I sometimes need to close my office door and cry), and Cindy has had a couple of good days at home with Isaac.  I imagine it will be like this for a while.  Thanks for all the support you continue to give Cindy and I.

Eric

12 comments:

kimberlee shaffer said...

You don't know me but I have been following you guys from the beginning. My heart aches for you and Cindy! I have 3 kids and my oldest is Atticus's age. I can't imagine, can't comprehend and can't fathom your pain. I'm sorry, so so sorry. I think the fact that you are writing your feelings is wonderful. I have faith in Heavenly Father, hang in there. The Shaffers in Vegas

Stephanie said...

Your posts always bring tears. I feel so sad for your family! I wish i could bring your son back:( iam so terribly heart shattered for you Cindy and Isaac. I hope you have the strength to get thru each day. God bless you all.

Belinda said...

I am one of the many followers of your blog who you don't know. My heart breaks for your family and you have been in my prayers. As a Mom who has also lost a son, I understand. In the beginning, I was grateful that breathing was a natural thing to do, because I am not sure I could have done it. I can promise you - you will find a new normal, you will have joy. The hole in your heart will never go away, but you will learn about life again. You son will always be right there with you, never far. I think your doing great, and such an inspiration. May the Lord continue to bless you.

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Eric.

Katie staten said...

Today in church I lost it while we sang "Come, Come Ye Saints." My heart just ached for your family and the trials you are facing with the loss of your amazing son. I pray for comfort for your family as you struggle to find the new normal in your life. I am so thankful for all that Atticus taught/teaches me, and for all your family teaches and inspires me.

Lisa said...

Amazing writing! I've never seen anyone put to words what I feel in my own personal grief. Although, I finally have found a program called, "the Grief Recovery Program"....that is the most amazing thing. No religious affiliation but professional grief program that can be done with your therapist.

Lisa said...

(PS...I'm not selling it or have any personal affiliation with the program) It's just simply that I have found.

Anonymous said...

I am laying here after reading the 3 most recent posts with tears flowing down my cheeks and a knot in my stomach. Even though we have never met, I want so much to "make things better" and take away your pain. But ... how does one take away a pain so great? It is almost a year since our family lost an 11 year old in a tragic fall. The pain is still here but it has thinned out over time -- like each day we leave a smidgeon behind for yesterday to deal with while we live for today and pray to Heavenly Father for tomorrow. I can see that sweet Isaac is a great blessing to you .. as you are for him. At times when the pain is so blisteringly bad that you feel cut in two, lean on each other with the steadfast knowledge that you are safely cradled in the Hands of the Almighty and in the twinkling of an eye, you will all be together again. May my love flow through to you .....

Angie said...

You have a gift for writing. Prayers and love from our house. We love your Atticus. My 11 year old son never takes off his wrist band. :)

Anonymous said...

There is not a day that goes by that I don't wish for one more day for you and Cindy with Atticus. I wouldn't mind one myself. I hate this for all of us, but for the two of you the most. It will never make sense to me. I love you guys, Stacie

Leah said...

We sure love you guys. We will always pray for you. There are so many lives blessed because of you and your sweet boys. Your family is unlike any other. xoxo

Stamp With Linz said...

Hang in there, Eric. You're doing exceptional. Just one day at a time.