Sunday, May 27, 2012

Ups and downs

It's been one heck of week. I have had split personalities. One half, very emotional and depressed. The other, completely detached. So I am either bawling my eyes out or can't cry even if I wanted to. I have no motivation to do anything yet am feeling overwhelmed by everything.

Night before last Eric and I held each other and cried from about 2am to 4am. I love my husband. I cannot imagine a better man by my side. It is so hard to see him hurting. He tries so hard to be strong for me and the kids, and does an incredible job but he's suffering too. I would do anything to take away his pain.

 Tuesday we met with the funeral home and it gets put in the "one of the worst days of my life" file. It was very hard to say the words of out loud... "My child is dying of cancer." It's pretty much impossible to say without loosing it. As Eric and I were talking to the funeral director I went from, "I CAN'T do this" to talking like it was no big deal. Something you talk about and plan everyday.

 And then it got ugly and surreal. We entered the casket room. It was horrible. But it's done. The worst of "the worst" decisions have been made and I never want to make them again. Ever.

 Atticus had his appointment at the Oncolcgy office Thursday. It was the first time we saw the doctors with the look of defeat in their eyes. Each one has offered to do house visits if traveling is too much for him or us. They are an amazing group of men. It's unreal to think that our journey is already at the "pain management and comfort" stage. I still can't believe this is happening that this is our life.

This has been one heck of a roller coaster. Atticus gets symptoms. Gets diagnosed and we go through the emotions of "our childs not going to live long." We watch his symptoms get worse. We watch his symptoms get better. We watch as his body changes from lean string bean to a cute as can be chubber. We watch as symptoms come back. Sit in fear in the emergency room. We wait for MRI results. Pray for healing. We watch as his body breaks and falls a part. We hold him hugs and kisses away from death. We witness a miracle. And watch as his journey back to Heaven draws near. He is digressing. Physically and mentally. When we got home from the hospital, he could walk a short distance between Eric and I. But is unable to now. You can see the atrophy in his legs. He CAN sit up on his own but not as frequent or for as long. He's not eating. For example, at thursdays doctors appointment, he ate ONE saltine then at bedtime he ate a string cheese and small handful of pretzels. And that's it. The entire day. Thank goodness he is on a milk kick and drinks it throughout the day. We switched to whole milk. Bless his heart, he's hungry and food sounds good to him but once I make it he says, "that's ok mom, I can keep thinking" or "I guess I didn't want that after all." He wears a diaper 24-7 now. 

Over the last few days we have noticed some memory loss. Each day has gotten a little worse. For instance, he wanted to make a grocery list- he loves making lists... " celery spices a racer cherries lettuce mushrooms oh and some oranges." In that short period of time while i was his scribe he said, "oh and dont forgt to add mushrooms to my list" twice. While at target shopping he asked at least two times if we got the mushrooms. Then between our drive home from target and that night he asked about five more times if we we got the mushrooms or, "ah nuts, we forgot the mushrooms." Each time I reminded him not to worry, we got the mushrooms. The memory thing is a hard one for me. Atticus has an amazing mind and is so smart. He remembers everything. The cute artist song that he and Mrs. Cherry sang a few months back, he no longer knows. That's a big deal for him. He spends his waking hours either on the couch or in his bed. We play candy land. Watch movies... Uncle Matt spoiled him and got him his very own ipad and Loaded it with movies. Atticus was SO excited. We organize his cars in to "like" "dislike" or " thinking about it" piles. And we snuggle. He is awake for maybe 2 hours before he is ready to sleep again.

We have had a lot of really cool things planned and scheduled that we canceled.. He had the opportunity to fly on a little four seater airplane. Had the opportunity to ride a camel at the zoo, had our horse back riding adventure scheduled, a scout camp out was planned, he was given the opportunity to participate in the grand am NASCAR race in Detroit.... All of which we expressed our gratutude but canceled. He just isnt up for going out any more and is more comfortable being at home.

Our "adventure list" was created by Atticus. It's been so fun for him. Has has LOVED checking things off. So it's only fitting that he calls the shots. He has our full support in deciding to put our "Adventure List" to rest (no punn intended). We had a great run. Did some incredible things and made some amazing tender memories to which I will always be grateful for. Eric and I want to thank all of you who helped make each adventures special. No adventure was just simply done but done in grand measures. From our departures to arrivals to home, everything was amazing.

Cancer is such a harsh road and gives even harsher results. It has forced our already mature little boy to mature even more. He has always been wise beyond his years but even more so now. I have been selecting my favorite pictures and home videos to make a movie for the service and it has been so very hard. I look at the pictures and am filled with so many emotions. Happiness. Sadness. Longing. I watch the videos and my heart aches. There is a really cute clip of Atticus decorating his very own Christmas tree this last December, wishing us a Merry Christmas. He is putting on the "jewelry-ments" aka ornaments and I broke down in tears. I miss him. I want him back. It was an incredibly short yet excruciatingly long 5 months ago. He seemed so little. None of us knew what 2012 had in store for us.

Yesterday was a hard day for him. He was extra lethargic didn't eat anything until 9PM. As I lay snuggled up to him in bed, silent tears running down my cheeks I panicked, with "this could be it" and "what if it's happening right now" thoughts. He stirred. Stirred some more then started vomiting. I was home alone my phone in the kitchen and I didn't want to leave his side, so I had him throw up in his medicine tray and wiped his mouth and nose with my shirt. Yes vomit was coming out his nose. Once I felt like he was stable enough, I quickly grabbed my phone, called hospice, text Eric, snuggled up close to Atticus and cried. I was so scared. I kept telling him over and over that I love him, that I am proud of him. Not to be scared that mommy is right here and will stay right by his side. Over and over. I looked at him, eyes burning with emotion and the fear of not having his sweet lips to kiss. Soft hands to hold. Rosey cheeks to love on. The reality of his sweet voice becoming a memory all too soon. I love him. I miss him. Is is so hard to see him sad and in pain. To see him with such low energy.

 I find peace in knowing that Heavenly Father has as special mission in store for Atticus. That he is one of Heavenly Fathers finest. That Eric and I will always be his parents and that we are an eternal family but my goodness this is hard. I know all these things bring peace but also know that unfortunately, in this life, I will have 50+ years of missing him. A whole in my heart that will always be there. It's hard coming to terms with that. And makes me sick to my stomach. We will never be the same. Yes with time we will be happy again but never the same. Maybe thats good. Maybe that's bad. Probably both.

I know that we all have angels surrounding us. I know that Heavenly Father is giving Atticus extra strength courage and comfort. Atticus' incredibly smooth transitions with the rough changes he has had to face is remarkable. He is remarkable. I attest that to our loving Heavenly Father. I strongly believe that Atticus is getting more guidance comfort and knowledge than our physical earthly bodies are able to know. He is being carried by the unseen hand and I am so grateful for that.

Each day is a blessing and a curse. Consisting of so many different emotions. I am so glad that my beatiful 4yr old is right next to me but hurting knowing he is hurting. Thank you for your continued supports prayers and love. It gives us strength and comfort in knowing we are not alone..

 Xoxo, Cindy

*Although we had to cancel our horse back riding adventure, our sweet friend Nicole from Waco, who is an AMAZING photography came to us and took some incredible pictures. click HERE

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am another follower via babycenter. I am in awe of this excrutiating yet beautiful path that you are walking with grace, humility, presence, and huge love. I send my love and prayers to Atticus and your entire family each day.

The Breckons said...

Sweet Cindy & Eric - my heart breaks for you. There is truly nothing comforting to say. Know that many prayers are being said to comfort Atticus & his wonderful family. It is true that angels will be there to lift you up, especially when you feel you can't get up again. May tle Lord bless you.

Leah said...

We are on team Atticus as well!!! We all wear our bracelets every day (except Julia, you know how that girl changes 50 times a day).

We love you so very much. We pray for you to have strength and peace throughout each day. Atticus is such a special boy. You are all so special. We love you.

xoxo

Anonymous said...

Cindy- I have never met you but, through your blog, have really come to know you. I cannot begin to imagine what your sweet family is going through and I pray for you and Atticus several times a day. Know this...you are inspiring people. I am a better mom for having read your experience--so much slower to anger and frustration and trying to remember that life can change in an instant. At a time when it would be so easy to blame and be angry with Heavenly Father, you have displayed an incredible amount of faith and courage.

Your family will continue to be in my thoughts and prayers in the coming days and weeks.

Linda said...

Life is eternal and love is immortal.
I pray that all of you find comfort and peace in the days and weeks ahead. The sweet face of Atticus is burned in my memory. I wish I could take all this pain away, but since I cannot I will continue to pray and hold the entire Hansen family close to my heart.
Kiss that sweet little angel for me, please?
Linda

Maria said...

Cindy, you have taken us all on a beautiful journey of your heart and my heart breaks with you to even imagine what you and Eric are going through. Your sweet Atticus really is one of the finest spirits and he will always be with you. He will be your guardian angel, and someday you will truly all be together again, to never be separated again, for eternity. I have cried with you, and tears are flowing now as I write this, and we will be praying and praying for sweet Atticus to be peaceful and comforted and for his precious parents to be as well, and to have all the strength they need and more. I've never met you, dear Cindy, but please know that you are in my heart, and your precious Atticus has made an indelible impression on my heart that I will always cherish.

Corie said...

Cindy, you don't know me but your story has touched me profoundly. I am so incredibly sorry that you are going through this. I cannot imagine what you must think and feel, but you do an amazing job of expressing your emotions on this blog. As I read I can feel your faith, your heartache, your love, your despair. You are an amazing family and the love you share is palpable, even to a stranger like me. I tell my husband about you, and I always tell him how amazing I think you have been throughout everything. You love and give and serve and support and give your all for your sweet Atticus. He is one incredible little boy whom I will always remember. Prayers and love are being sent your way. - Corie, SLC, Utah

Ashley said...

Someone recently left a link to your blog on mine. What a sweet boy Atticus is. Just spending a short amount of time reading your blog, I can tell what an amazing individual he is.

July 2010, almost 2 years ago, (I can't believe its been 2 years) our 18 mo old daughter passed away due to an accidental drowning. I too remember sitting in the funeral home, making so many decisions, and walking into the room with the caskets. I wanted to throw up. As soon as I could I practically ran out, hoping once I left I could actually breath again.

Just Friday, we attended a funeral of a sweet 15 yr old boy named Tyler, who passed away from Liver Cancer. http://fight2thefinish.com/ His mom is amazing.

Anyway, I just wanted to send my love to you. My heart is breaking for you. But you seem like such a strong and incredible lady. We took on the motto of, "I can do hard things," and don't ever think you can't. Atticus is definitely lucky to have you as his mom. Sending lots of prayers your way.

Love,
Ashley Sullenger

Katie Pettey said...

Cindy, our four boys wear their "Angels for Atticus" bracelets every day and Atticus is in every prayer ever said in this house. To mine, I add you and your husband because it is hard to imagine going through what you are. Thank you for sharing your blog and helping all of us put this into perspective as we follow you through this journey. It is because of this record we are able to "mourn with those that mourn". I know it will become even harder for you, at times, when he is gone, but please know that there are many of us who are also willing to "comfort those who stand in need of comfort" even if it is from a distance and only through prayers. We love you and your family.

Love,
Katie Pettey (Stacie's SIL)

Anonymous said...

I agree with the writers of these posts. You are inspiring people and the way you write is so clear and powerful, we feel as if we are in this with you. I check your blog every day for updates. The Hansen family is in my thoughts and prayers hourly. I know you have seen many blessings in these difficult times, but let me hopefully add one more. Atticus' story and the struggles of your family has made a powerful impression on me. As a new mother of two small children I often get overwhelmed and stressed, resulting in me not being the mother I want to be. Your family's story is reminding me that we have so much to be grateful for, and that it really is about "quality over quantity." I hug and kiss my children more often, drop the laundry or broom to go play, and take deep breaths when things seem tough. I laugh and smile and sing and remember a sweet little boy named Atticus and what he has taught me about life. I know I am not the only mother or father that feels this way. That hundreds of children everywhere are receiving a little extra love and attention these days. So, in your incredible times of grief I pray that it brings you some comfort to know that in just four short years Atticus had made an impact in this world that we all hope we can make someday. He leaves behind a legacy of love.

May bless you and keep you in the palm of His hand.
Give Atticus a hug from me,
Amanda

Anonymous said...

I am another "friend you've never met." Atticus is a part of my heart too. Each time you are so generous to share your personal story, I cry too. Where would any of us be without the knowledge of the gospel? May He strengthen your family in this difficult time is my prayer for you. Give Atticus many many kisses for those of us who have never met him, but will never forget him.

Love from Phoenix, AZ,

Candi Peck

Anonymous said...

We received our Atticus bracelets. As we were leaving to go to the pool today I asked my six year-old if he had his on. He looked up and said, "yep mom, I got Atticus right here. He's going with us!" It was so sweet. When I gave him the bracelet I told him about Atti--he had so many questions. I let him know he gets to be an angel for Atticus, praying for him. He said, "I'm glad I get to be his angel."

Please know we are thinking of you and Atti is in our hearts wherever we go.

OuR LiTtLe FaM said...

My heart breaks over and over again as I read each and every post you write. You are an incredible Mommy, Cindy. You have always gone above and beyond in all you do and this time has been no different. You have done so much and been through so much with such a beautiful spirit about you. While going through an unimaginable circumstance you have openly shared the incredible adventures your family has had and we feel extremely blessed that we have been able to witness them. You have changed our lives forever. We have always known that Atticus was such an incredibly special little boy and he sure has wrapped us all around his fingers, friends and strangers alike. We love you. We pray for peace and strength for you everyday and every night. Thank you for your incredible example. We love you.

kim edvarchuk said...

Dear Hansen family,
What a hard post to read (and to write), you are all so strong and brave. The reality of what you are dealing with comes through in your writing so beautifully. I have laughed at Atticus' fun personality and now I cry with you. Thank goodness for the knowledge of eternal families and the gospel. While it doesn't make the journey any easier, it definitely gives us so something some small amount of peace and a goal to help us live righteously. I have said it before, Atticus is definitely one of the choice spirits who must have been of the noble and great to not have to endure all of the trials and tests of this life...while that knowledge does not make this process any easier, we are praying for your family.
Love from Utah!

Jared and Brielle Rucks said...

Everyday I read your blog I often think about what it was like in the pre existence when heavenly father asked us all "and who would like DIPG?" i know Atticus's hand shot right up and said " give it to me." What a sweet boy you have been blessed with. So sweet and wonderful enough to have been able to accomplished everything he needed to accomplish in this life in just four short years. He is needed on the other side to continue his great work and what a joyful reunion the two of you will have in the life to come. Thank goodness for the knowledge that families are forever. We are Always praying for you Eric Atticus and chunkers.

Anonymous said...

Hansen family:
Gosh what a very very hard post to read! I read your blogs every day and I cry because I feel like I know your family. I pray for Atticus and your family every chance I get. I find myself thinking about him throughout my day and hoping today is better than yesterday. You guys have AMAZING strength and I cannot imagine going though what your family has gone through in this short period of time.
Your Atticus is an amazing and brave little boy! Gosh he so is!!! And he will FOREVER be apart of my heart. He has touched people that he has never met more than he will ever know. I pray for more strength and peace for your family. You guys are the GREAT GREAT parents!
We love you Hansen Family!

Wonder Womna said...

All three of my kids have been dealing with colds for a week, and it's been hard to watch them suffer from it. And the whole time I've been thinking of you and Eric and how you're feeling watching Atticus, and how courageous Atticus has been with his fight. My heart breaks for you guys. I so, so wish there would be a different outcome. You two are amazing parents, and I know that Heavenly Father's love for you is matched only by your sons love for you.

Kirsten said...

Eric and Cindy,

Words cannot express the emotions that we feel as we read your blog daily for updates on Atticus. Though, whatever emotions we feel surely pale in comparison to those that you feel as you go through this journey with your remarkable son. We are inspired by the strength and faith that you display through your blog and are always impressed by how Atticus is handling the incredibly difficult mission he has been given. It may not be of any comfort now, but we felt impressed to let you know that your story has touched our lives and caused us to reevaluate how we parent our own two boys in light of the wonderful example you have given us.

Thank you for sharing your journey with all of us,

Tim and Kirsten Fuller, Albuquerque, NM

Anonymous said...

Words seem meaningless right now, but sincere sadness for for your great loss and sorrow! Atticus continues to live and will be energetic and healthy the next time you see him. Until then, may God's tender mercies surround your family. From the bottom of my saddened heart, thank you for this wonderful journey into the life of an incredibly brave boy.

Lots of love from Utah

Janene Wawro said...

Sending love for your broken hearts. My sweet nephew, Ollie, passed this year from this ugly disease. My heart goes out to you for the struggle of watching your beautiful boy deteriorate...people just can't imagine. Prayers for you, from a stranger who cares, as do SO many other people.