Monday, May 14, 2012

Mother's Day

Had to drop a quick line and wish everyone, including my Mom (Love you Mom), a happy Mother's Day (Yes, its Eric again).

        You'd think that this Mother's Day would be the worst yet for Cindy but it hasn't (and yes, I know I can't speak for Cindy, but I am going to anyway).  Cindy and I were blessed to spend some special time with Atticus this evening.  These past few days have been very reminiscent of when Atticus was first diagnosed.  We were again told that Atticus was going to die-albeit this time around we have less time.  We again had to fight the emotions and fear that come with that news.  But like before, through all of the fear and sadness, we have been able to have some very special moments with Atticus that we will always remember.  Tonight was one of those nights.

        My dad and Cindy's parents flew home this afternoon, and it was just Cindy, Atticus and I at the hospital.  Atti had been sleeping most of the day, but perked up from about 6:00 to 9:00.  He is such a trooper.  He knows that his body isn't working right, and he is in pain.  But yet, he still finds a way to make us laugh and still melts our hearts by his sweet little sayings.  Nothing hugely notable happened, but tonight was one of those special moments as a family that we are now, post-diagnosis, acutely aware of.  Its something that I took completely for granted before.  I now recognize how special and amazing the gift of going through life with a family is.  

        The heart of our family is my wife.  She is a remarkable mother.  She is everything for Atticus and Isaac that I am not and can't be.  I am amazed by her courage during these last five months.  I am amazed at the way she loves our sweet children.  And most of all, I am amazed by her devotion as a Mother.  Even on Mother's Day she doesn't get a "day off."  She, like all mothers, is always on the clock.  Day or night, vacation or home, she is always "Mommy."  She's the first person the kids look to when they are hurt or in pain, or need comfort.  She is the first person they want to see when they get up, and the last they want to kiss at night.

        I love you Cindy.  I can't imagine life without you, and I love you more each day. Thank you for being such a great mother.    

        Eric



 
 

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful post. You both are so lucky to have one another, and Atticus and Isaac are in turn lucky to have such great parents.

Thank you for always sharing such touching words of wisdom and love. You are a true embodiment of a great mother, father, husband, and wife.

sending love from California. Hang in there Atti.

xoxo Danni and Rocky

kim edvarchuk said...

Your family has been on my mind all day today after reading your post yesterday. I don't know your family but I have been praying for Atticus,and the rest if your family since finding your story several months ago.

I wanted to share a scripture from doctrine & covenants that has brought me much peace over the years and hopefully it will you as well.

DC 121:7-8
My son, peace be unto thy soul. Thine adversity and thine afflictions shall be but a small moment. And then, if thou endure it well, God shall exalt thee on high, thou shall triumph over all thy foes.

Love from Utah!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful post from a beautiful husband to a beautiful wife of a beautiful family GOD BLESS!!.

Lisa said...

Both of you are such amazing writers! There's never a word that I don't hang onto! Prayers for you and yours

Anonymous said...

Your family has touched my life and my heart. Without even knowing you, I feel as though we are friends. I pray for sweet Atticus and for you all for peace and comfort and more time to make memories! THANK YOU for sharing your family with me and for building my testimony of a loving Heavenly Father, for a loving brother who died for us, and for motherhood!

Atticus....you truly are a warrior!

Anonymous said...

You don't know us, but our family is praying for your family. I found your blog through a friend's blog and have been following since the diagnosis. I am so happy that you are able to have more time with your sweet boy. Much Love and may the Lord bless your family.

Anonymous said...

Eric-

Both of you are AMAZING... Both of your boys are AMAZING... The only way I have ever been able to describe our similar experience is, "it is the most wonderful part of the world you hope you never have to discover". It absolutely shows you what really matters. And the kindness and goodness that really does exist in this world. You also discover a whole other level of pain you didn't know you could feel. But most of all it helps you to realize the incredible spirits you have been blessed with. Being a parent delivers some of the highest highs and the lowest lows. The highest highs by far outweigh the lows. Atticus is one of the wittiest kids I have ever seen. And he just radiates- It is very apparent he is not your average soul. :) We have grown to love your family, even though you don't know us. We continue to pray for everything you all need to get through this trying time! Lots of love from Utah-

Mandy Shaw

jennifer and dru whitlock said...

Happy Mothers' Day Cindy. What a wonderful tribute to an amazing woman. The boys are so fortunate to have you and Eric.

Atti is so brave and witty and sweet. We are heartbroken at the developments and that he is in pain. We hope the meds are alleviating this and that he can continue to have these precious times with his loving family.

With all our love from Utah,

Jen, Dru, Reese & Ewan

Leah said...

I can only imagine how sweet this was for Cindy to read. There is something about when husbands write sweet things for their wives that is more special than any gift that can be given. I love this post. Cindy is so amazing. You are all so amazing. Thank you for what you are teaching all of us. xoxo

Sammy said...

Everything you said Eric is so very true!! You both are truly amazing and such an example of strength. So sweet to read your feelings for Cindy - thank you for sharing!

Forshee Family said...

what a beautiful touching post. So grateful you all got to spend mothers day together. What a blessing. We continue to pray for Atticus and for you both for courage peace and comfort.

Heather Adams said...

We are so grateful you were able to celebrate Mother's Day with Atticus as himself. Our hearts hurt for you but we know you have and will be carried. Never forget that. Love to your family!

Mara's Team in Auburn Wa

Anonymous said...

How would a stranger thats a friend get some angels for atticus bracelets?:)

Lia said...

Beautifully written Eric. Thank you for sharing your most difficult journey. Praying for Attitcus and his family each day.

Anonymous said...

Agreed! Your wife is an inspiration. This fellow mommy will continue to pray for you, your babies and their mama. God bless you all!

With love from Ohio.

nargyle said...

I agree too. Your wife is fabulous! And you are such a wonderful family. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Lisa said...

The reporter on Good Morning America, just used the phrase..."LAUGH IT UP FUZZBALL"!! After talking about the "PLAY OF THE DAY"....thought that was interesting. (It's Tuesday's May 15th show)

Anonymous said...

Have you considered a low-maintenance pet for Atticus? Something to watch while he is less mobile. Maybe a hamster, gerbil, guinea pig, bunny, fish, or sugar glider. (If iit only sounds like a crazy idea at this point, I apologize.)

Anonymous said...

Praying for Atticus!!! http://cornellneurosurgery.org/pedneuro/dipg-news.html

Stamp With Linz said...

Guess I needed a little cry tonight! Perfectly said, I totally agree! xoxo

Lindsee said...

This is a beautiful post! Cindy, you are truly an incredible mother.
This is the first time I have commented but I have been quietly following your family's story for awhile. It has touched my heart and my life. I also have two sons, five and 21 months, they are a joy. I am inspired by you and find myself slowing down each day to enjoy my boys more. I am thankful to have found your blog. Your strength and courage reachers out to those you share with and I thank you for that. My thoughts and prayers are often with you all. We remember sweet Atticus daily.
Love from Utah,
Lindsee H and family

Robin said...

I started following your blog through the Hansen's, and found them through....I can't remember, but I have been both saddened and lifted up by your story. I'm so sorry for you. So very sorry. I can only imagine the pain and fear you are are experiencing. I have fallen in love with your little Atticus, and am praying for you all. I'm so praying for you to have strength and be given comfort.
Love to you from Idaho
Robin