RADIATION DAY #30
Friday March 9th
His "Beads of Courage" looked like this...
(first day of radiation Tuesday January 24, 2012)

Now, his "Beads of Courage" look like this...
(last day of radiation Friday March 9, 2012)
This was our routine, we got to the hospital, signed in, turned the TV to channel 8 so he could watch Curious George, then he would play games on my phone..
He is such a funny boy! He always wanted to sit by me while waiting his turn to go back, but after the first week of radiation, always wanted daddy to take him back.
His walk to to treatment room #1. He walked down this hallway at least 34 times.
He was treated 30 of them.
He was treated 30 of them.
Isn't his jersey awesome? Thanks Tiff!
Treatment went fine. The end. No more radiation.
Let the celebration begin! I text my friend Mel Thursday night to have her pick up some balloons and meet me at the hospital in the morning! We wanted to have a little party for him right when he woke up from sedation! She not only did that (refusing to let me pay her back!) but brought some fancy shmansy donuts. He thought it was his birthday! We got a good laugh.
We love our medical team. Almost all of the radiation team was there in his room and gave him an applause and awarded him with a certificate of completion. I thanked everyone for being a part of our life story and taking such good care of our sweet Atticus. It was a happy tender moment. Tears were shed. Smiles were ear to ear. And hearts were full of joy and sadness all at the same time.
..Mrs. Wendy..
Such a sweet woman. She was gently, calming, and SO good to Atticus.
Is was her job to "access" and "de-access" Atticus and she couldn't have done a better job.
She had a present for him to open; An awesome Star Wars ship!
Such a sweet woman. She was gently, calming, and SO good to Atticus.
Is was her job to "access" and "de-access" Atticus and she couldn't have done a better job.
She had a present for him to open; An awesome Star Wars ship!
..Joanna..
Huge HUGE blessing!
She was diagnosed with DIPG three days after Atticus. Her last day of treatment is Monday! Woot Woot!! She doing a lot better. Although she can still not walk on her own, she can walk holding her parents hands. Its a HUGE reminder on how blessed we have been and are.
Atticus has responded so well.Huge HUGE blessing!
Heading home... It was a good feeling! He did it. We did it.
We made it through radiation. With flying colors might I addd!!
We don't go back for 6 weeks. For a check up!

We told him that we could go anywhere he wanted for lunch to celebrate.
Anywhere. He chose Chick-fil-A!!
We made it through radiation. With flying colors might I addd!!
We don't go back for 6 weeks. For a check up!

We told him that we could go anywhere he wanted for lunch to celebrate.
Anywhere. He chose Chick-fil-A!!
..His radiation mask..
Thank heaven he is sedated and has no idea.
Once sedated, they layed him down, taped his eyes closed, put his mask on, inserted the oral airway and start the oxygen. The masks screws in to the table to ensure that he is perfectly still.
Scarey looking huh?Thank heaven he is sedated and has no idea.
To celebrate...
Im not sure who was more excited, Atticus or Daddy!
Atticus LOVED it.
Atticus chose to watch Star Wars. I have put this off for a long time, feeling that Atticus is way too young. Eric has been begging me for even longer. But I caved. Today was a big day. A Star Wars day! So Atticus got his "congrats" gift from mom and dad, a Darth Vader light saber (His favorite character), we popped some popcorn, and started our journey to a "Galaxy far far away..."
Atticus LOVED it.
Our original plan...
was to go bowling but Atticus heard the neighborhood kids playing outside and chose to do that instead. It was something he hasn't been able to do in a long time. He had an absolute ball. Even though it was freezing, those kids played outside for two hours! My cheeks hurt I was smiling so bad! It was SO fun to see. My cute neighbor Glenda and I sat on our steps and talked and watched the kids play. I LOVE our neighborhood.
they played tag, soccer, played on the swing set, and had races down the alley.
Atticus said, "Mom, Im sure having fun with Ava and Tristano!"
and "Mom, Im sure having a fun day!"As the kids were leaving, he said,
"Bye friends! You can come back any time!!"
And I hope they do!! Atticus hopes it's tomorrow morning :)
..Thank you..
Thank you to our family, friends, and strangers who are now friends. Thank to my sisters amazing book club, Utah Chapter, for 6 wks of gifts, Thank you to our Radiation/Oncology team. Thank you to our church/ward family; For the meals that continue to come, for watching Isaac, and cleaning our house. Thank you to our loving Heavenly Father, for blessing us with such amazing people in our lives. We love you all so much.
And most importantly... Thank you to Atticus
Sweet boy, it is because of your GIANT spirit, you have made this journey not only barable but enjoyable. It is because of your smile, funny comments, and fabulous cheeks, that your daddy and I can get up and get going. Thank you for teaching your daddy and I about the power of prayer, the strength of positive attitude, and the importance of loving each and every moment. YOU are amazing.
xoxoxox, forever
Just a few of the posters and signs he has recieved. His room is literally covered in awesome pictures and posters like this. He has a scrapbook busting at the seams with letters, cards, postcards, and pictures. Thank you! Feel free to keep 'em coming! He loves mail!
We LOVE you. ALL of you.
xoxoxo
xoxoxo








11 comments:
We are so happy that part is over! We pray that you will all continue to be strong and blessed with the richest blessings our Father in Heaven has for you. Thank you for your amazing example these last few weeks. My motivation to be a good mother has strengthened enormously!!
What an awesome last day of treatment! You guys truly amaze us. I loved seeing his "Beads of Courage"--they truly represent so much--Atticus is such an amazing guy--he has gone through so much, but has been so brave, done so well, and has kept his sense of humor. I love him and his precious smile. I'm so glad he got to run and play with all the neighbor kids and got to watch Star Wars! We love you guys and are here for you with whatever you need! xoxoxo
What a journey!! 30 treatments. Amazing. So proud of your whole family. You are loved, prayed for and thought of so often. Congratulations. What a great way to celebrate... PLAYING with friends. So thrilled he can run, ride his bike and hit the ball.
xoxoxoxoxo
Congratulations for reaching this important milestone. Thank you for sharing your amazing journey and being such a great example to everyone. It was so wonderful to read about Atticus' activities and see the photos throughout his journey. He is truly an amazing child who has an amazing family. I feel as though I know you even though we have never met. My daughter-in-law is Marianne Brown Cone. She is the person I learned about Atticus from. Marianne's father, Reed Brown is married to her step-mother, Jane. Jane's daughter is a step-sister to Marianne. Marianne's step-sister's husband is a brother to Eric. I know that sounds a bit confusing, so I hope I have quoted the relationship correctly. Regardless, my thoughts and prayers continue for Atticus, his happiness snd well-being. Our best wishes to all of you from SouthDakota.
Atti is looking fabulous! I am so glad radiation is behind you! You have been troopers.
And now... Eric,Cindy,Atticus and Isaac...
May the " Force" be with you!
Love you Hansens!
You did it! Enjoy the 4 weeks of pure freedom. I can't wait to hear all about you adventures. You all are so deserving of some quality family time without worrying about hospital visits. You're hy hero - the beads of courage are a true indicator of Atticus' and his families bravery. We are so very very proud of you!
GOOD JOB!!! You did it!!! All of you!!! And you banded together as tight as a family can and were stronger than I have ever seen any family be. I can't even express the love I have for all of you. I will never be able to tell you how proud I am of you. CONGRATULATIONS!
Stacie
Bravo, sweet boy!
I have been following Atticus' story on Baby Center I am sorry that your family is going through this pain, but Atticus is truly an inspiration. I am truly praying that Atticus has a miracle recovery!
What sweet and tender mercies along the way that have been poured out upon your sweet little family. You ALL have inspired me to be a better mom, more focused on quality time with family, more grateful, more patient, more faithful. Thank you for your strong examples. Our prayers continue with you all at this time. Loved seeing Atticus playing with his neighborhood friends. SO AWESOME! Thank you for your willingness to share so much along the way. Love you guys!
AMAZING ATTICUS!! What an inspiration you all are. Seriously. You all rock :) Such a fun celebration day! Everything about it was perfect.
Post a Comment