You know your diagnosis is not good when the medical staff you tell cries. While being prepped for surgery the anethesiologist asked what his specific diagnosis was. I responded, "Pontine Glioma." She immediately started to cry and began to tell me how sorry she was. I seriously want to throw up. All. Day. Long. I go from crying to melting down then back to crying. UNLESS Atticus is near. Then Heavenly Father gives me strength to shut it off and fast. There are things that I am already starting to miss, like his sweet smile (he still can't move the right side of his face well). Atticus has a Diffuse Intrinsic Pontine Glioma (DIPG). Its a tumor located in the pons (middle) of the brain stem. The brain stem is the bottom most portion of the brain, connecting the cerebrum with the spinal cord. The majority of brain stem tumors occur in the pons (middle brain stem) and are diffusely infiltrating, (they grow amidst the nerves), and therefore are not able to be surgically removed. The median overall survival of children diagnosed with DIPG is approximately 9 months. The 1 and 2 year survival rates are approximately 30% and less than 10%, respectively. These statistics make it one of the most devastating pediatric malignancies. The standard treatment for DIPG is 6 weeks of radiation which often dramatically improves symptoms. Unfortunately, problems usually recur after 6 to 9 months, and progress rapidly. (Source: St Jude Childrens Research Hospital). So there you have it. The combination of 4-6 weeks of radiation, chemotherapy, and steroids will hopefully buy us a short amount of time. Is is not just the craziest thing? I know it hasn't really hit me. This is not my life. No way does my child have cancer. I keep telling Eric that, "I don't want to do this." But I know I don't have a choice. But what I do have control over is how I handle if for Atticus. And I'll be danged if Im not the strongest momma in the world for him. I can and will be strong for him. Then in the privacy of my husbands arms, loving family and friends and can break down. Im taking it one day at a time. Surgery went well. Nothing exciting. He did great, but no surprise there. Waking up from sedation was a little rough and he's tender but other than that, good as gold. The port is under his left breast, and is not nearly as big as I had in-visioned so that's good. We met with Dr. Lanarsky (oncologist) to tie up loose ends and discuss questions we had and our discharge, which will be tomorrow (tuesday). He is an amazing Doctor. He brought Atticus a pack of Hot Wheels race cars right after we found out. We meet with Dr. Munoz (Radiologist) on Thursday where Atticus will be measured, have an MRI and CT scan, and get oriented to our new "home away from home." The process is much more intricate than we thought. He will have a special mask made to keep his head in a locked position. Thankfully he will be sedated BEFORE that happens. We are anxious to get home and figure out a new routine. Thanks again for all of your encouraging works. It really means so much to me. Last night I couldn't sleep and gave up trying around midnight and re-read all of your comments over and over until 3 am. It was the only thing that kept me from breaking down. Love to you all. Love, Cindy
Monday, January 16, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Hi, I read your blog thru the Hale's and I was touched by your son's story, We will be praying for you and your sweet little boy. HUGS...
Oh, Cindy. My sweet friend. I want to take you in my arms and just hug you. I think of you constantly. We pray for you in every prayer.
If any mother can be strong for their child it's you. YOU! You have such a bond with Atti-bug and I know it will only get stronger. My heart reaches to you every second and wants to help any way I can.
I know you have family with you and I am so grateful they can be there, but I will still do anything you need. ANYTHING!!!!! I know you are bombarded with calls and messages, you have so many people who love you and your family.
I am happy you get to go home tomorrow.
I love you dear friend. I love your family. You are family. My Texas sister. That's you. I am here day and night.
Sweet Cindy,
I seriously love you. You are an incredible example to me. I have been thinking about you like crazy. I am praying for you and for Atticus. So are my hubby and kids. Every single prayer, everyday. I made the CD and will send it right away.
I included a few of my favorite songs. Songs that have touched me and filled me with hope and peace when I needed it. All Primary songs. I hope you and Atticus enjoy it.
As I read your post tonight, I was reminded of a scripture I read once when I was really struggling. I felt like I was barely hanging on.... I know my struggle was nothing like yours but I wanted to share it with you anyway. I felt like my struggle was so much bigger than I was.
Then I read. . . D&C 138:56. It says, "Even before they were born, they with many others, received their first lessons in the world of spirits and were prepared to come forth in due time of the Lord to labor in his vineyard for the salvation of the souls of men."
I realized that I was prepared before I was born. Prepared to handle the trails I would face. I felt strength knowing that. I believe Atticus was prepared for his life. I also believe that you were prepared to be HIS mother. The Lord is with you. I know He is.
Leah told me you were there for her when our Dad went through his cancer journey. Thank you. I want to be there for yours. I am a perfect stranger, but a friend in Utah, that is part of your army praying everyday.
xoxoxox
Angie
Cindy, I have become great friends with Sammy Jacobson here in Missouri and she was telling me about your sweet sweet Atticus....how much she loves him.....how much she loves you. I have a little boy who just turned 5. I look at him and can not imagine what you are going through. Even though I don't know you, I really wanted you to know I'm praying for your family. One thing so wonderful about the gospel is you have sisters everywhere that love you without knowing you and that will pray mightily for peace and comfort and joy in the time you have left with your son. What a wonderful blessing it is, even though it doesn't make things any easier, to know we are sealed to our children. That they are ours forever. I pray little Atticus can find some relief and strength in the next several months and that your family will be able to enjoy the time you have together. I pray that you will be able to continue to find the strength to be strong through this trial and that the love of our Father in Heaven can help heal your heart.
My love and prayers and a great big hug if I could reach you,
Jeni
I found your blog through the Hale's and will be praying for your son. I happen to read an article about brain rumors today. Not sure about the validity of the story but you can research Dr. Burzynski located in Dallas Texas. He has a cancer clinic with anti neoplaston treatment.
One of the sweetest girls I know has a five year old battling brain cancer in Austin. Jaylienielson.blogspot.com. I'm praying for Jaylie and Atticus and your entire families.
Post a Comment